UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

[Swordmanship] Little question

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'
Re: [Swordmanship] Little question

If you read the rest of the post, it's justified.

How much should I have? 100 and take 40 damage from mindblast, or 90 and be slower with 5 more hp? Cuz you know, every time I die, I sit back and say "damn, those 4 guys never would've gotten me if I had 5 more hp!" [/sarcasm] How about an odd number for strength so I lose a hit point and effectively a stat point with it?

Or should I get the points from int, and cripple my mana regen? One point of int has more effect than 1.0 of meditation on your mana regen rate. Do you make characters with 90 meditation? Of course not, so why would you make characters with less than 100 int... Especially when magic is your primary, and sometimes only, means of healing?

Having 45 dex (65 with pots) makes my tank's katana a real threat in the field and renders the char virtually immune to mindblast. The loss of 5 or 10 hit points is totally worth it.

Stides40oz

Knight

LKP;1701068 said:
If you read the rest of the post, it's justified.

Cuz you know, every time I die, I sit back and say "damn, those 4 guys never would've gotten me if I had 5 more hp!" [/sarcasm]

I only roll chars with 100 str because a lot of times when I live, I sit back and say "damn, those 4 guys almost got me good thing i have 2 hp left"[/serious]

And also i like to be able to carry max weight for my uber fat sack I roll with and loot i get along the way. Also to carry teammates bags if they die.

With 80 str u would die to a simple exp pot-fs-alchy combo not even weakend. You would be dead if u didnt have a heal pres casted and timed it nicely. One unexepected attack from a half decent player ur dead with that kinda STR.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

I've been playing the char I just described for over a year on this shard now and never died to that combo or any combo from one player for that matter. Most of my deaths have come from being ridiculously outnumbered and para-ganked, a situation where a few hit points makes no difference. I've gotten away red-lined plenty of times as it is.

My gear typically weighs around 170 stones out of a possible 320, and I solo so there aren't any teammates to loot. I do get overweight with loot occasionally but then I just throw it all in a bag and gate it if a strength pot isn't enough.

Sure, having relatively low str has its downside, but the benefits far outweigh the costs imo. It's a tank mage. It excels offensively, and suits my playstyle (which is mostly PKing). I don't get "unexpectedly attacked" because I don't do anything on this character but go looking for trouble.

Honestly, I had a hard time breaking away from the 100/100/25 concept too. I'm old school, and resistant to change in UO. But after the pub14 changes to magery, the new hp formula, and defensive wrestling, I thought I'd give it a shot and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Kaplar

Sorceror

If I may weigh in (pun intended), the max stones problem with looting is usually mitigated by having a beetle for a ride. I also have a few chars with less than 100hp and have been able to manage, the benefits of the other stats certainly outweigh the loss of a few hp.