UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Tentative patch notes - november 11th, 2012

FacePump

Knight
Wow. I just check it. With stool, no clear path message after taming starts. Can only tame from direct NE,SE,SW,NW corner... Now, peace has its value in taming.

yes peacers may be help full but thats for the established player.. just think if you started and are out trying to get your first mare or dragaon..i think this part of the patch is a negative one .. the 2 or 3 tile distance u could have was good enough.. to me i have my pets and very good ones .. and enough summon balls i wont have to attempt to tame another again so it dosnet bother me the least bit.

but i can see major complicatons for new players trying to get their first pet.. imagine sitting there failing to tame a dragon attempting 20-30x before u tame it. teh entire time its beating on you....
even training taming lets say on bulls that are moving is gunna be a chore now.. all around this is notta well thought out idea in my opinion.

they shoulda left well enough alone on this one.. or atleast make it where you cannot foot stool (foot stools are broken regardless should be removed from the game) them .. so the player can atleast paralize them and attempt to tame.. ive sat there 20mins trying to tame one mare and im sure anyone reading this post has been there also.. and its a bitch with paralize and peace.. now its even worse.. for a new player its gunna be basicaly impossible

Countessa

Knight
The bard skill changes were bug fixes. The skills were not working as intended.

Also, I love new players but new players are New.
They shouldn't be able to do everything, or have everything, from the word go.

Code Blue

Knight
yes peacers may be help full but thats for the established player.. just think if you started and are out trying to get your first mare or dragaon..i think this part of the patch is a negative one .. the 2 or 3 tile distance u could have was good enough.. to me i have my pets and very good ones .. and enough summon balls i wont have to attempt to tame another again so it dosnet bother me the least bit.

but i can see major complicatons for new players trying to get their first pet.. imagine sitting there failing to tame a dragon attempting 20-30x before u tame it. teh entire time its beating on you....
even training taming lets say on bulls that are moving is gunna be a chore now.. all around this is notta well thought out idea in my opinion.

they shoulda left well enough alone on this one.. or atleast make it where you cannot foot stool (foot stools are broken regardless should be removed from the game) them .. so the player can atleast paralize them and attempt to tame.. ive sat there 20mins trying to tame one mare and im sure anyone reading this post has been there also.. and its a bitch with paralize and peace.. now its even worse.. for a new player its gunna be basicaly impossible

Taming was meant to be hard and challenging

FacePump

Knight
Taming was meant to be hard and challenging

so have you tried to tame a dragon, mare with limited resourses .. regs/pots/armor.. have u sat n failed over n over for almost 30mins
now imagine being a month old to this game and failing for 20-30mins on your first pet.. the entire time you tame it you have to let it punch you..
sorry i dont bank sit, sit at the duel pits,i actualy play, and i know how bad this sucks for newer players.. i think failing 20x+ in a row tryin to tame something was shitty enough for taming..

now try it now and see how bad it sucks.. like i said i have 2 sets of great hunting pets about 10 summon balls and antoher 10 charges of translocation.. so this change dosent bother me one bit..
but this change is for the worse imo..

and if tessa your refering to my post.. its not giving the new players shit.. its giving them a CHANCE IN HELL to tame a pet.. some people didnt pick this game up and been playing it for 15 years.. i think alot of people overlook that aspect of Ultima espicially here on hybrid.. if you want the shard to grow.. us old vets are not making the population higher only the new players do that.., and to make shit harder for them defeats the purpose of trying to get them to play here and not elsewhere..

it may just be me.. but if i cant get anywhere really in a game i dont play it.. and this taming changes makes it 10x more challenging.. and taming is the best way to make decent money.. so if i came to this shard. and taming sucks like it does now.. id move elsewhere why waste my time here when there is umpteen different shards that help me being new.. instead of being told

"I love new players but new players are New.
They shouldn't be able to do everything, or have everything, from the word go."
its not like we are taking away a command that gives them a free pet or regs.. we are making it practicaly impossible for a newer player to tame a hunting pet.. we are not handing them nothing but a chance..

im thinking you guys are forgetting what it is like to be a NEW player here..

Code Blue

Knight
so have you tried to tame a dragon, mare with limited resourses .. regs/pots/armor.. have u sat n failed over n over for almost 30mins
now imagine being a month old to this game and failing for 20-30mins on your first pet.. the entire time you tame it you have to let it punch you..
sorry i dont bank sit, sit at the duel pits,i actualy play, and i know how bad this sucks for newer players.. i think failing 20x+ in a row tryin to tame something was shitty enough for taming..

now try it now and see how bad it sucks.. like i said i have 2 sets of great hunting pets about 10 summon balls and antoher 10 charges of translocation.. so this change dosent bother me one bit..
but this change is for the worse imo..

and if tessa your refering to my post.. its not giving the new players shit.. its giving them a CHANCE IN HELL to tame a pet.. some people didnt pick this game up and been playing it for 15 years.. i think alot of people overlook that aspect of Ultima espicially here on hybrid.. if you want the shard to grow.. us old vets are not making the population higher only the new players do that.., and to make shit harder for them defeats the purpose of trying to get them to play here and not elsewhere..

it may just be me.. but if i cant get anywhere really in a game i dont play it.. and this taming changes makes it 10x more challenging.. and taming is the best way to make decent money.. so if i came to this shard. and taming sucks like it does now.. id move elsewhere why waste my time here when there is umpteen different shards that help me being new.. instead of being told

"I love new players but new players are New.
They shouldn't be able to do everything, or have everything, from the word go."
its not like we are taking away a command that gives them a free pet or regs.. we are making it practicaly impossible for a newer player to tame a hunting pet.. we are not handing them nothing but a chance..

im thinking you guys are forgetting what it is like to be a NEW player here..

So not to make a long post or anything..

When I tame, i usually attack it til it has super low health, then i para the creature and start to tame. I dont use stools and i dont clifs or such.
And I usually tame from 2 tiles away.

Has this changed at all?

I thought all that changed was you have to be able to see the creature (i.e cant be on a cliff)

crikey

Sorceror
People use stools to tame pets? Why? I never even thought to to that....it is very easy to stop a nightmare or dragon if you fail a tame and they bite you...

If I can do it, ANYONE can do it! Because oOoOoooH I SUCK!

Paracelsus

Sorceror
Crikey, you can do it but only in the first 10-20 min. For mare and dragon, you can do it. For WW, you may do it. But, if you ever try taming a mare with 40 min and a WW with 45 min. You will know how painful it is. Even with low HP, paralyze and peace...

I don't need to tame much. I tame for the fun most of the time. And usually I tame for the other if they are not rude. I have 20+ 7x decent mares (I don't use them in field unless I do not have non-7x anymore). Recently, I am training two 7x and they will be the gifts to other players. So, virtually this change only adds a little challenge to me and I can have another aspect of fun. But, for other, it would be a shit.

joe123456

Sorceror
Having only been playing properly for a couple of weeks I was confused when the game play seemed to change so much overnight! thought there must have been a patch, so came to check out the forums. Basically all I have been doing is taming using peacemaking while I tamed (only really played Sphere shards before so taming monsters is still a novel concept). This suddenly became impossible using peacemaking, as they kept attacking me!

Having just had my good mare stolen from me and locked in some ones house ( :( ) I will have to train another one. Initial attempts have not gone well! Sure I will be able to work it out ;)

So not to make a long post or anything..

When I tame, i usually attack it til it has super low health, then i para the creature and start to tame. I dont use stools and i dont clifs or such.
And I usually tame from 2 tiles away.

Has this changed at all?

I thought all that changed was you have to be able to see the creature (i.e cant be on a cliff)
Nah you can see the creature from a cliff, the problem is that you are 2 tiles away. You have to be within biting range. For taming swampies it doesn't really matter because they don't do much damage, but this might raise the price of mounts a bit which would be really cool, considering that a lot of tamers will make some spare change by selling mounts to people asking for them at the banks. But with how long it takes to tame a beetle or ESPECIALLY a swampy, it isn't worth the amount of gold that people usually want to pay, about 2 or 3k, since you can farm 5k+ in that time at any spawn. This isn't really the point of my post but I think it would be cool if people started charging/paying 5k minimum for mounts considering how long it takes to tame them and also that it is now slightly harder to do so. Also, hopefully people will start charging/paying more than ~10k for freshly tamed mares. You can make that money back so quick with the mare, and think about how long it took to tame that goddamn thing! Anyways, on to the main point.

The way I see it, this change will hopefully encourage people to play on pvp-tamers when they farm, since bardic skills are slightly nerfed, and having meditation will be better for taming mares as opposed to peacemaking since you will be taking more damage. Maybe more people will decide they are better off farming on a template that is also suited for pvp, thus less incentive for farmers to recall out as soon as they see a red and more pvp!
From my experience farming, on a full bard(no combat skills) with 2 mares both with 80+ in all skills(both worth ~100k-150k) I would make about 120-140k gold, not including magic item values, per hour. On a macer template with a verite warhammer(worth ~150-250k), 120str 99dex, I would make about 110-120k per hour, again not including magic item values, with the added bonus of killing or warding off other farmers at my spawn(=more $ per hour) and being able to hold my ground against farmer PKs, or often times just wreck them (=more $ per hour). Not to mention this method of pvp-farming can be much more fun! I have never lost a verite hammer farming, but I've lost mares! :] Being able to defend your loots and fight other people for theirs is always much more rewarding for me than making ~10-20k more each hour and not being ready for pvp!

well they said they implemented more virtue systems, someone go raise their honor up and see if it works how its supposed to. this wouldn't completely make it easy to tame since honor doesn't last too long and like people know it can take an hour to tame something.

Hydrofiend

Knight
I appreciate that the staff are working on improving the server, but throw us players a bone...

There are a lot of us vets that love this server, but are bored out of our minds, please add some more end game things to do. Or at least some loot on monsters that the rich players (everybody) would actually want...

I dont get why there are all these small tweaks, that are unnecessary, when you could be working on implementing things that would attract new and old players to the server.

I'll continue to check the forums once a week in hopes of seeing something that will get me excited about playing again.

Until then...

Edit: I'm going to elaborate, since I sound like an unappreciative ***hole in my OP.

Ultima Online is an amazing game, and the fact that Mark and Ryan made a server for those of us that loved UO how it used to be, and well, I can't thank them enough for that.

The problems with the server have nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. People aren't quitting because of meteor swarm hitting blues, being bolad, and so forth.

The problem is with baseline UO itself. There are a lot of things to do, and a lot of things to work for when you first start playing. After a few years however, everyone has done everything, and reached all of their goals. That is the root problem IMO, there is nothing that a player really has to work for a long time to acheive.

For example, in PVE, the best loot on monsters is vanq weapons, there is no goal beyond that. With the server being alive for so many years there are thousands of vanqs stockpiled in people's houses. So vanqs aren't worth any money, and there is no point in killing monsters for them. Which makes farming monsters pointless with the highly inflated economy we have here. Monsters need to drop some kind of loot that players can sell for 25k-100k. Some kind of rare loot tables that start at vanq drop rate, and increase in rarity for more valuable items. I always recommend rare clothing drops on monsters, because obviously the players on this shard love rare clothing.

PVP is bland on the server nowadays, and IMO it all ties into the PVE being pointless. If the dungeons were alive with players hunting monsters, reds would have someone to murder, which would get the PVE'r to dabble into PVP, and gets them to practice PVP to be able to defend themselves against reds, and a new PVP'r is born.

Factions need a long term goal as well. How about a vendor that allows you to buy rare items with silver once you get to certain ranks? The silver rewards have the same flaw as the monster loot table.

FacePump

Knight
maybe u should read patch notes n sstuff more often there has been 2 cub events. idk about anyone else i trashed a good 250 l wands. 40 or so perfect vanqs. adn about 1400 power/vanq .. fort/invuln armor..

+ in the 4 days or so ive had my magic weapon vendor going. ive made 600k.. i think you views of the shard are a lil flawed..

but to each there own. ;0

peace

Hydrofiend

Knight
You are missing the point.

With runic weapons around, Vanqs aren't what they used to be.

I highly doubt that you actually farmed for all of those weapons/armor, most likely found at idocs, and cashed in.... and if you did actually farm for them recently, well then you are one of the 10 people left that still enjoys farming for magic weapons/armor.... the rest of us are bored.

FacePump

Knight
no i farmed all those weapons adn wands.. i cashed in 1.8m emblems worth of magic loot i had stored up.. all from me farming..

the game is what you make it..

and didnt u say "I'll continue to check the forums once a week in hopes of seeing something that will get me excited about playing again."
im a lil slow but i wonder how you know the state of affairs here on hybrid without playing.. i see people out in dugeons or evidence of people (mob corpses) everytime i decide to go farming..

and u say pvp is dead but u should see my wand vendor with 22m on it from wands alone..

btw i run vendors and farm, its how i got to be where i am..

Dexter420

Sorceror
You are missing the point.

With runic weapons around, Vanqs aren't what they used to be.

I highly doubt that you actually farmed for all of those weapons/armor, most likely found at idocs, and cashed in.... and if you did actually farm for them recently, well then you are one of the 10 people left that still enjoys farming for magic weapons/armor.... the rest of us are bored.

I have 5 times that number of people on my aim list alone that farm their own armor/weapons and enjoy doing so, including myself, I also not only see tons of people out pvming and pvping in dungeons but I see entire groups of people meeting up at banks to set off to hunt together, stuff I haven't seen for over 3 years here.