UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Thieves and Thievery: The Guide.

Suriv

Sorceror
Re: Thieves and Thievery: The Absolute Guide.

My favourite is at sea. Second favourite, at docks. Third, Brit bank, of course.

Mr_Jay

Wanderer

Do I need to be guilded to be able to steal from a packy guarding me?

I ask because the gump is blue after repeated "all guard me" statements, and I was greeted with the nice "Guards can now be called on you" system message the one time I tried stealing.

What am I doing wrong?

Clyde-hybrid

Wanderer

There's nothing wrong with being a banksitting thief, as long as you target items worth over 2k.

teqsun

Wanderer

just started reading guide, awesome. built my first thief. Stun of course.

WOW I am really enjoying this. I think I will try to make a stun/ mage hybrid

Anencephaly

Wanderer

Del area is easily my favorite by far... so many dumb people carry around so many nice weapons

Disarm thieves are the best IMO, I've made over 2 million in a matter of a month or two just stealing weapons (a lot more fun than farming!)

A few tips for aspiring disarm thieves:

1. Always, always, always set the weapon to last target before you check and see what it is. You can generally profile out shitty weapons by what the guy is wearing, what he's riding, etc. if you don't have time but make sure that you get the weapon on LT before you look at it - you may not get another chance!

2. Be patient. The last thing you want is for your mark to figure out you're casing him, so try to conceal yourself. Hide in plain sight -- hiding near your mark is a dead giveaway, so pretend to be casting spells, make conversation, do anything to elude suspicion. The best time to strike is always when your target is preoccupied -- try to wait until he's fighting a monster, chasing a PK, or just straight up talking to someone.

3. When you're ready to strike, make sure you have EVERYTHING in order as well as a clear getaway path. Have his health bar up, be in combat mode, your disarm turned on, and his weapon set to last target. Even if you fail to disarm or fail to steal the first time, the great thing about disarm thieves is that generally speaking, people just don't know how to react to them! Rather than running into town and banking their weapon, generally they just keep coming after you, and I've easily stolen a sizable amount of my weapons from idiots who give me a second chance.

4. Pack lightly, but pack efficiently. The following is my disarm thief's template:

100 Stealing
100 Snooping
100 Hiding
100 Wrestling
100 Arms Lore
70 Magery
70 Healing
60 Anatomy

When I bank to get ready to go on a run, I usually bring - 5 of each recall, 2 refresh, 1 cure, and 10 bandages. I also like to cast a quick MR before I go just to possibly fend off a paralyze in case a bystander catches on and preps it before I do the deed. This setup is perfect for getting away from any pursuers, and allows you to heal, cure, re-juice to disarm again if necessary, and recall out as soon as you turn blue to bank your weapon.

5. Have standards for what you will and will not steal. I don't even bother with anything unless it's Power+ or Bronze+ runic, and stealing anything less not only blows your cover in the area but gains you very little reward for the risk you're taking to get counted if your victim is smart.

6. If you do get counted, don't get pissed; just consider it a chance for everyone to forget who you are for 40 hours so they can feel safe bringing out their nice weapons again.

7. Keep the weapons you steal in the mix. As soon as I steal a weapon, the FIRST thing I do is put it directly on my vendor at the IDC vendor mall (minoc/trinsic moongate) and make it available. I even have a macro that tells people they can reclaim it there if they like. You'd be amazed at the number of times you manage to steal the same weapon from the same person after they've bought it back!

Have fun! :D

mr.bojangles

Wanderer

yea.. i accidently killed someone and got a murder count now how do i quote*macro it way* end quote?

teqsun

Wanderer

mr.bojangles;1720883 said:
yea.. i accidently killed someone and got a murder count now how do i quote*macro it way* end quote?

not to be a dick but you dont need to say "quote" when you are using quotations... its a figure of speech used to represent the punctuation.

That said... you simply login and leave your guy sitting there for 40 hours.

teqsun

Wanderer

mr.bojangles;1720898 said:

No worries. It takes a while to "macro" off a kill... say "i must consider my sins" and it will tell you your count #

mr.bojangles

Wanderer

yea and again another question if you disarm someon then steal it does it count as a murder count or do you have to steal somehting then disarm then steal the weapon?

Suriv

Sorceror

You punch to disarm, if they manage to kill them self before they hit full hp (Which negates any count you might get), then you will get the count if they give it.

If you're stealing really nice weaps.. Well... You can count on them to put a count on you.

mr.bojangles

Wanderer

so bascially if actually get the disarm and steal off i should wait for him to heal fully before i go back to steal from him again?

Suriv

Sorceror

A fun strategy is to bring a heal wand with you. They're cheap as garbage, and unless you're Mr. T, you won't be hurting them so badly that a heal wand won't suffice. Steal, heal, and run like hell.

teqsun

Wanderer

Suriv;1721040 said:
A fun strategy is to bring a heal wand with you. They're cheap as garbage, and unless you're Mr. T, you won't be hurting them so badly that a heal wand won't suffice. Steal, heal, and run like hell.

that's evil.

gsc94

Sorceror

I tried to use the anatomy in the item that i wanted to steal, and used stealing, and last object, but it didnt work. Is there any mistake that i did?

incubusfox

Wanderer

gsc94;1726676 said:
I tried to use the anatomy in the item that i wanted to steal, and used stealing, and last object, but it didnt work. Is there any mistake that i did?

Yeah, it's last target.

gsc94

Sorceror

Oh, thanks :)
But, if i get close the person, i target the item, then I go a little away for this person, then, i get close again and use last target, and I didnt open its bag again, will I be able to steal even i dont have its bag opened?

incubusfox

Wanderer

gsc94;1727317 said:
Oh, thanks :)
But, if i get close the person, i target the item, then I go a little away for this person, then, i get close again and use last target, and I didnt open its bag again, will I be able to steal even i dont have its bag opened?

Yup, as long as you're right next to the person when you try to steal it, you don't need their pack to be open.