UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Your two cents...

Serenity

Wanderer
Re: Your two cents...

korruptionofdemise;452776 said:

2. Your curiosity about me will be ended soon enough, it wont take me long to get out into the pvp scene, however my ping fluctuates based on where I happen to be playing at the time, and sadly I use a satalite connection. Hughes net is the pits... so at any given time i could ping anywhere between 30 and 2058.. my max a few minutes ago was 3000.

FYI, IF you are indeed using a satellite connection with a satellite in geostationary orbit then the satellite is around 22k miles away from you.

With a unidirectional satellite connection (upload via modem, download via satellite) this means that the downloaded data has to travel to the satellite, and then to you, a round trip of 44k miles which, at the speed of light, will take around 1/4 second (250ms). This is on top of your modem-isp latency AND the latency from your isp to demise servers.

With a bidirectional satellite connection (send and receive over satellite), both upload and download take place over the satellite. As such there is satellite overhead of 500ms (4x44k miles at light speed) on top of the latency from the isp to demise.

HughesNet offers the bidirectional service, and as such your ping cant be less than around 600ms (including compression overhead), so yes, you would be better using a dialup modem for playing UO.

J

John Doe

korruptionofdemise;453649 said:
Thanks applesauce

Look SLurpee, he already knows your name... *wonders*

And Korruption, come to your favorite bank (Minoc Fel) I got some things for you.

Caine

UO Gamers: Demise Admin

John Doe;454237 said:
Look SLurpee, he already knows your name... *wonders*

And Korruption, come to your favorite bank (Minoc Fel) I got some things for you.

Shade can't play anymore, he got banned again.

repiovesana

Sorceror

Serenity;454234 said:
FYI, IF you are indeed using a satellite connection with a satellite in geostationary orbit then the satellite is around 22k miles away from you.

With a unidirectional satellite connection (upload via modem, download via satellite) this means that the downloaded data has to travel to the satellite, and then to you, a round trip of 44k miles which, at the speed of light, will take around 1/4 second (250ms). This is on top of your modem-isp latency AND the latency from your isp to demise servers.

With a bidirectional satellite connection (send and receive over satellite), both upload and download take place over the satellite. As such there is satellite overhead of 500ms (4x44k miles at light speed) on top of the latency from the isp to demise.

HughesNet offers the bidirectional service, and as such your ping cant be less than around 600ms (including compression overhead), so yes, you would be better using a dialup modem for playing UO.

That depends on where you are... I'm in southeastern Brazil (Sao Paulo) with a 500 kbps cable connection and I usually ping around 400ms... so I don't think my ping on dialup would be as low as 600ms :D

Serenity

Wanderer

repiovesana;454275 said:
That depends on where you are... I'm in southeastern Brazil (Sao Paulo) with a 500 kbps cable connection and I usually ping around 400ms... so I don't think my ping on dialup would be as low as 600ms :D

Bandwidth is not the same as latency. You will probably still ping the same.

J

John Doe

Caine;454271 said:
Shade can't play anymore, he got banned again.

Same as Applesauce, right?

What would it take for Saeros to get unbanned, considering he's never ban "evaded" and was only banned for Furring into a house, which can clearly be done by anyone with knowledge of Demise..