UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How many of you are religious!

Pick one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megumi

Wanderer
Re: How many of you are religious!

Clover;1418788 said:
That's so ridiculous to say. Seriously, the Great Flood? Noahs Ark? The Epic of Gilgamesh... when the flood occured? Those are THREE stories on a great flood that occured. They were different "faiths" or "religions"... Christianity didn't even exist then. To say that all three things that wrote that are all bogus would be wrong. Sure they didn't have the things we have now, but they did have ways of writing things down and keeping notes, believe it or not.

Bare in mind that these stories were around long before the religious texts.

The great flood, Noah's Ark and The Epic of Gilgamesh are essentially the same story told from different perspectives.

Many stories in the Religious Texts are derived from Pegan Lore and Mythos.

kio123

Knight

DementedJester;1418794 said:

The great flood, Noah's Ark and The Epic of Gilgamesh are essentially the same story told from different perspectives.

there was uhm abrahams and solomons religion before myths and pagans

AlphaN3rd

Wanderer

kio123;1418793 said:
if we could make a survey about this we would find out that 99% of the atheists are characteristic cowards

its all in the psychology

We're not the ones who require a fairy tale to comfort us from reality.

Clover

Sorceror

DementedJester;1418794 said:

Yeah, but they were used in Religious texts. Noah's Ark = The Old Testament.

I don't know. Perhaps I am too much of a religious buff and I try not to be, or let it show because I get a lot of shit from people who don't believe in anything and it's just unwanted stress.

I feel that if I say I believe in God and that I'm Catholic I immediately have to get ready to defend myself for no reason whatsoever. IDK but sometimes I feel like those that don't follow only try to tear those that do down because it makes them feel better.

Nicolai

Sorceror

Clover;1418792 said:
I do believe it. There is no "not". I mean, people can choose to believe what they want. There may be some things that I doubt, but I have no found something that was a better answer... and "nothing" or "not believing" definately isn't a good answer [for me].
So if the bible said that you should stab people in the face every wednesday then would you believe it and follow it or would you reject it as something that was put into the bible by man and not god?

Megumi

Wanderer

kio123;1418798 said:
there was uhm abrahams and solomons religion before myths and pagans

Consider how much pagen culture was erradicated by the Egyptions... Around the same time as Abraham and Solomon.

kio123

Knight

AlphaN3rd;1418802 said:
We're not the ones who require a fairy tale to comfort us from reality.

you are afraid of the reality
therefore you say you like it

Clover

Sorceror

Nicolai;1418804 said:
So if the bible said that you should stab people in the face every wednesday then would you believe it and follow it or would you reject it as something that was put into the bible by man and not god?

Well, does the bible fucking say that? No it does not. IF the bible said that? There is no "if " sir and I don't really think this is the type of conversation to say "what if...". I believe what I believe and you aren't going to change it. Call me whatever the fuck you want, if you believe you are justified to do so. In fact, I hope it makes you feel better about yourself and your lack of beliefs. I don't care and I'm not changing.

Megumi

Wanderer

Nicolai;1418804 said:

Try not to take things so literally.

kio123

Knight

DementedJester;1418807 said:
Consider how much pagen culture was erradicated by the Egyptions... Around the same time as Abraham and Solomon.

sory i got a bad memory but i think moses lived at old egypt and solomon was before moses

also its written that there have been phropets till the start of humanity so a mythological hero might as well be a lesser prohpet. we shouldnt seperate the two

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

AlphaN3rd;1418769 said:
It might make me an asshole, but not an ignoramus.

Are there perhaps a few teachings of the bible that are positive? I'm sure there are. That doesn't make religion right, nor does it necessarily mean that religion is an overall positive influence.

i completely agree... IMO religion as a hole has done more harm then good.

examples are as follows: cruisades, then witch trials (massachusettes and in england) the spanish equisition all the way up to today terrorist with there jihad.

i just seems to me that religion has brought about more pain and sufering then anything else.

Nicolai

Sorceror

Clover;1418809 said:
Well, does the bible fucking say that? No it does not. IF the bible said that? There is no "if " sir and I don't really think this is the type of conversation to say "what if...". I believe what I believe and you aren't going to change it. Call me whatever the fuck you want, if you believe you are justified to do so. In fact, I hope it makes you feel better about yourself and your lack of beliefs. I don't care and I'm not changing.

Im not trying to change what you believe Im just asking what you believe.

I just want to know if you would follow something simply because its in the bible whether its something you agree with personally or not.

You dont have to get all defensive.

Nicolai

Sorceror

DementedJester;1418810 said:
Try not to take things so literally.

Thats exactly my point. People choose what they take as literally in the bible and what they dont. If it says something they dont agree with then they say it isnt literal but if they do agree with it then they say it is literal.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. It just says they have minds of their own and arnt just following blindly.

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

AlphaN3rd;1418775 said:
If you count any written text written thousands of years ago as credible evidence, I'm sure you're going to believe in lots of really foolish stuff.

Like Christianity.

dude but the evidence is there. Jesus did exist, he was a preacher. that there my friend is historical fact. but here is when it gets messy. he IMO was not divine.

kio123

Knight

OffMyJohnson;1418814 said:

examples are as follows: cruisades, then witch trials (massachusettes and in england) the spanish equisition all the way up to today terrorist with there jihad.

i just seems to me that religion has brought about more pain and sufering then anything else.

is that so? if crusades and witch burns didnt happen you would be having babies on your dinner plates now

Nicolai

Sorceror

OffMyJohnson;1418818 said:
dude but the evidence is there. Jesus did exist, he was a preacher. that there my friend is historical fact. but here is when it gets messy. he IMO was not divine.
Actually its a historic fact that there was more than one Jesus. I dont think any of them were actually named Jesus though. But Im not an expert.

ToRnhatesyou

Wanderer

dont forget gaza and what there fighting for? religious land

people die for there beliefs and other religions call them terrorist but people of the "terrorist's" religion call them Heros?

religion is another way for people not to live with guilt for the stupidity they have done?

but remember everyone that said there christians

"god would rather have you hot or cold not in the inbetween"

kio123

Knight

OffMyJohnson;1418818 said:

what proof is that? a history book? you believe in the only book that says "its scietficaly not" and ignore the rest? divine jesus was proved scietifically too why do you ignore that one?

atheists are amazing. they dont believe in religion becouse its all just a book but they probably read their all mighty non beliving ideas in another book themselves

Clover

Sorceror

The Crusades are a bad example. They were done because the Islamics were threatening to "take over the world" and the Pope and kings united to stop then. Sure, there were terrible things done during the crusades, but it was a war, not a tea party.

There are just as many BAD people that are non-religous as there are those that follow religion. Pain and suffering? I'm sorry, but I'm religious and I felt more "pain and suffering" when I chose not to be active in my religion, but when I go to church I actually get something out of church now so I feel good about good. I don't feel like it was a waste of my time.

People who are murderers, whether religious are not, are just insane. Religion doesn't change a person's mental state... if someone has a screw loose, there is not much anything can do for that person. Only that person can fix themselves and often it doesn't happen. They end up commiting suicide or in jail for crimes they commited.

Oh, and thanks for the bad rep in this thread guys. Real mature.

Megumi

Wanderer

kio123;1418813 said:
sory i got a bad memory but i think moses lived at old egypt and solomon was before moses

also its written that there have been phropets till the start of humanity so a mythological hero might as well be a lesser prohpet. we shouldnt seperate the two

Moses liberated the Jewish slaves from Egyptian oppression.
The Egyptions enslaved the Jews... they probably eradicated alot of Pegan groups that had been around for centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.