UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

IDEA: Duel pit is to PvP as Clans are to RP (read)

After reading this idea, would this be a valuable RP option for the UOG society?

• Yes

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • Maybe... a good start. Make this change:

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldblood

Knight
Talus said:
Lets think of it this way...

One my last days of OSI I remember a fight between guilds on Skara Brea, GL, where one clan, all wearing tan robes (if you RPd on osi you know who I mean), with iron barded dragons, staring down their enemies. It was cool to watch them--it was like two armies ready to face off and it was all in character.

rp isnt all about fighting monsters and saying "Thou mayest go to helleth!". If thats all your guild is about you need to find a new rp guild. ;)

I never saw swamp dragons or "tan robes" on osi, cause i already quitted at that time.
But if u have a rp guild, fighting other guilds, it is PvP, think about the word:
Player versus Player
if u fight anyone sitting behind their pcs u fight another player
and thats PvP

Holy shit. Ok.

I was just talking to someone about this idea, when one of the "Hardcore RPing Orcs" started to inform me that this system was not needed... that they already had a guild. So, I continued to respond with my usual "Yea... but this is better than anything you can do with only a guild, because you can do things with this system that cant be done otherwise. And... the orc made a very interesting statement...

"Explain the system."

Explain the system!??! Wait... ive had people arguing against my idea that didnt even take the time to find out what its all about?! Holy shit. Hoping he was merely challenging me, I asked him if he knew anything about the system. He didnt.

Ok... to sum it up...

This system isnt anything that will replace the current guilds. Its just a system that keeps a time-based rank, allows any player to join with any character and for him to look, speak and be the part of that creature, allows for completely optional pvp, and encourages playing without neon and blessed shit.

I dont see how this isnt perfect... it doesnt hurt anyone. But... please. Argue something you havent researched.

Icey

Sorceror
nasty: fuck off. you are not hunts.

evil: this idea is not perfect, and it's obviously not wanted by the staff if it's not even going to be considered. move on.

Darkfall

Wanderer
Icey said:
what the fuck?

yes, you dolt, it would change things. it would change them a lot. is that not what you are pushing to implement? a change?

roleplaying recieves enough support from the staff, 'nuff said.

stop trying to change this shard into one big fucking tramfest. wait until you get big, like really big, and see how much griefing you recieve. you think me hanging out at your fort picking the newbies off and an occasional summoned blade spirit/energy vortex is griefing? fucking wait and see, you idiots.

and after that happens, guess what happens next? you guys start bitching for trammel so you can roleplay in peace.

http://www.uo.com <-- go (please!) and save this forum your bullshit.

Hey Icey- before you make one of your clever remarks that took you a hour contemplating, be sure your foot is not in your ass, thanks.

I like some of your ideas @ post creator

I believe the GM's stated that Trammel will NEVER be put into this shard, and roleplayers in general hate trammel it makes it much harder for you to develop your charecter.

Atrox-hybrid

Wanderer
i didnt read all 11 pages of this thread, so sorry if i repeat something someones already said.

I really dont like this idea. it sounds like a hell of alot of work for the GMs because you dont want to use the tools already at your disposal to roleplay. plus you include a lot of stuff that basically makes uo...not uo.

EvilGenius010 said:
When a "masked" player is killed, he cannot be looted,
A masked player cant be looted? Hello trammel. looting is essential to uo.. its part of what makes it better than evercrap, wow, etc.

EvilGenius010 said:
and every weapon used while wearing a clan item becomes the equivalent to GM, giving all players a level playing field. The weapons also do not lose durability while wearing a mask.
not needed. player skill already outweighs any items you can get. plus, players could just take newbie katanas, hatchets, etc and use them. then they would have effectively perma-blessed gm damage weapons that will never break.

EvilGenius010 said:
Each clan item also has a specific name on it… this is the name that will become the name of the clan member wearing the certain item. This allows for a player to build his own reputation within the clans, but also be known for that name and not for his hair/neon shit/items.
RPG players generally like to choose their own names...not have them assigned by whatever item is randomly dropped in their bag.

EvilGenius010 said:
TIC - Time in Clan
From the moment a member joins a clan, the only title he will receive is a rank structure, which is based on how long that person has been in his clan. This rank structure is only active while the mask is on, and TIC is only gained while the mask is on (logging off stops the progression of TIC… this prevents someone making a random char, putting him in right away, and never using him.) This is also important because shouldn't the highest ranked person in a clan be one that plays a lot? And... this way... it cant be a popularity contest (VOTE ME FOR CL! Ill use my faction messaging to insult other guilds!) Once a mask is removed, it takes 5 minutes to re-equip the mast.
so instead of people creating characters and logging out and not playing them... people will create characters and leave them on all day while theyre at work/school. and a leader should be determined by popularity among other things, not how long you've been logged in.

EvilGenius010 said:
Example:
If there are already 2% of the clan as Legends, and an Elite has hit his 15 week mark, he’ll have to wait until either more join the clan, until his time becomes higher than one of the current legends, or until one of the legends leaves. This provides a balanced rank structure.
no it doesnt. it provides a rank structure based on who can leave their character logged in longest.

EvilGenius010 said:
Importance of rank:
The most importance aspect of rank is that a higher-ranked clan member can attack a lower ranked clan member at will. “But… but… this is ridiculous! OMG! Once one of them is an Initiate, he can just go kill the Recruits at will! WTF! OMG!” No… that’s the beauty of rank. If this initiate were to do this, he would simply be killed by one of the Warriors, or above. This also prevents stupid amounts of shit-talking and also encourages respect between the ranks. If an Initiate calls an Elder a “STOOPID NOOB OMG!”, then the Elder and probably other higher ranked clan members would kill him (or attack him). Respect is a big deal, and allowing the ranks to attack those lower encourages it.
you have no method of policing this from griefers. the average person playing this server has about the maturity level of a preteen problem child. they dont give a shit about respect. the'll join, leave their character logged in for a week to build up rank, and then noto pk new joins.

EvilGenius010 said:
Territory:
A 2-3 screen radius would exist around each stone, making it so if a player from another clan were to cross within that area, he would go oj and the clan-members inside the area would also go oj. Territory protection. No... you cant capture their base... but you can run onto it and attack it. Reminds me of how different countries would send their armies to other countries just to fight.
from this portion of your post. one can deduce that enemy clan members are only attackable to eachother in clan bases. but friendly clan members of lower rank are freely attackable all the time.... this seems like a very flawed concept. furthermore, armies dont just kill eachother just to fight. there is always an objective behind a war. fighting without objectives lacks purpose and quickly becomes boring

EvilGenius010 said:
NEW! Monster Interaction:
Players within the clans, while wearing the masks, will be treated as friendly to all monsters with the same monster type. For example, the Orc clan could sit with the orcs within the orc fort as if the same creature. For this experience, they will be. This adds a valuable element of realism.
this isnt balanced. one side has orcs. the other side has demons. a base full of demons will ream anyone that goes near it. a base full of orcs is a minor annoyance.

EvilGenius010 said:
This is a very serious game idea… one that would give players like me (and a lot of other players) something that they could really get into and enjoy. A lot of respect and progression. And, its perfect for UOG. A society that everyone can enjoy… and then they can take a break and go to the pits… go play poker. Man… if someone actually made this… I’d pay $20 a month to play it.
i think you'll find after a few weeks of playing with this type of ruleset how incredibly flawed it is. at which point, you and everyone else will cancel your $20 dollar subscription =/

EvilGenius010 said:
(To me… doing this will stop this shard from being completely item-driven
You're making the shard completely item driven by making peoples items (masks) determine their appearance, name, and practically their entire identity...

EvilGenius010 said:
and allow interested players the option of playing within a society that’s about respect and not about neon hair. RP filled with PvP.
interested roleplayers already have the option of playing within a respectful society. Make a frigging guild with rules. 58% of the population really wants this change...and feels that strongly about it, im sure they'll have the motivation to structure a roleplaying environment within the normal confines of the game. you want wars versus other roleplaying guilds... uh, declare war on them? there you go. rp filled with pvp, with none of the bugs, griefing, flaws, and overall gayness.

EvilGenius010 said:
A world where your known for your name and not your sandals. Duel Pit + Clans? A perfect UO? I think this is close.)
uo is the least item based mmo of any ive seen. within the pvp community nobody gives a crap what sandals you wear or if you have the rarest barstool ever. you're identified by your name and your guild. your pvp ability and general character reflect back on them.

EvilGenius010 said:
ANSWERS TO A COMMONLY ASKED QUESTION:

This idea could be made simply with guilds... but much of what makes it as good as it is would be lost. A list of reasons are as follows:

First of all, if a player were interested in joining, and the gm wasnt on, he wouldnt be able to.
if he doesnt want to wait a day or two for the GM to get on... hes obviously not THAT interested in joining...

EvilGenius010 said:
If the gm didnt play for a while, players wouldnt be added, they would become uninterested, and the idea could be lost.
so... get the players to declare fealty to someone else, thus declaring them gm?

EvilGenius010 said:
Rank would not be able to be calculated through hours/weeks accurately.
the rank based on time logged on is stupid anyway.

EvilGenius010 said:
Languages (if added) would not be changed.
nobody is stopping you from speaking another language. the orcs dont seem to have a problem doing it.

EvilGenius010 said:
Not just any player could join... you would need to start a brand new one and coordiate outfits (which means some could just refuse and ruin the concept).
so just any player COULD join.. if he started a new guild and coordinated outfits.... or if he just joined an existing guild.

EvilGenius010 said:
You'd have a gm that decides to add his best buddy, who refused to make a new char. Therefore, youll have "Sir Fucksalot" the Orc.
then your guild is not that dedicated to roleplaying. find another imo.

EvilGenius010 said:
The radius around the stone couldn't be added... therefore it would take out all possible fighting, excluding war declarations.
well.. you could pk them. orcs are already mostly red. or you could just suck it up and declare war. the guild war system is quite suitable for the type of pvp youre describing.

EvilGenius010 said:
The list goes on...
what else you got? ill tell you why its wrong.

EvilGenius010 said:
The point is anyone could be involved. If you wanted to war another group, you would force players not interested in warring to war the enemy clans.
a minute ago you said not anyone could be involved. now im confused ;/

EvilGenius010 said:
It would be average, at best, if run by players.
the system is great run by players. look at the orcs in uog now. look at them on osi. they do fine without a system specifically designed to cater to their lack of creativity and originality.

EvilGenius010 said:
All the GM's need to do is implement the system.

lol you're kidding me right. like they just have to flip a switch or something and its all there? This would take countless hours for a system of roleplaying that you'd quickly find sucks more than siccx's mom in a room full of sheep.

EvilGenius010 said:
It is not run by GM's. It is, once again, the same concept as factions
you opened this saying it was different than factions. while similar to factions in nature.. it doesnt really make a whole lot of sense to me.... especially since guilds and factions already exisit. and guilds in particular are more than capable of handling this type of roleplaying with a little effort on your part.

^^^^^^^^
that was a good way to kill some time =D

Icey

Sorceror
Darkfall said:
Hey Icey- before you make one of your clever remarks that took you a hour contemplating, be sure your foot is not in your ass, thanks.

I like some of your ideas @ post creator
hey mr. assumes-a-lot, before you make another attempt at a clever remark that took you obviously no time at all to conjure up, be sure that you know what the fuck you are talking about, thanks.

that didn't take an hour. and by the way i don't remember asking for critique.. do you remember me asking for critique?

I WANT this to happen.

I am dredfully sick of all the egotistical children whose only objective on this game is to achieve a pathetic attempt to be noticed in game.

I also believe that a system as complex as this will add life to the game, role playin, PvP, and PvM, will all be present on this one shard! It will be a one stop place to play UO and have fun in every aspect.

I personally think that Role Playing is really lame, however, this sounds like a fun faction type pvp hype to it. I'm really digging the whole concept of war declarations, and base invasions.

I think this can tap the only market UO gamers hasn't touched, roleplaying, and it will most certaintly drive players to this shard.

As for my own suggestion to this wounderfully thought out idea, is maybe that in the ranks, every month the 6 members with the highest rank can run for a leader type posistion, where he can order the NPC orcs to attack other clan bases, and discuss certain type of diplomatic options. Like alliances with other clans, rights of passage, and war and peace options.

Also, if the elected president or leader of the group for the month doesn't log on for five days, his powers can be shifted to the second most popular candidate.

Just some ideas.

Later

Icey

Sorceror
hey bitch, a system like this already exists. it's called factions.

use your imagination. you don't need a system like this for roleplaying.

elias-hybrid

Wanderer
I have to agree with icey on that one, roleplaying is what the players make it, not a system implemented by the staff at the suggestion of one person. If you want that kind of thing, just go play factions.

Richard Pryor said:
I WANT this to happen.

I am dredfully sick of all the egotistical children whose only objective on this game is to achieve a pathetic attempt to be noticed in game.

I also believe that a system as complex as this will add life to the game, role playin, PvP, and PvM, will all be present on this one shard! It will be a one stop place to play UO and have fun in every aspect.

I personally think that Role Playing is really lame, however, this sounds like a fun faction type pvp hype to it. I'm really digging the whole concept of war declarations, and base invasions.

I think this can tap the only market UO gamers hasn't touched, roleplaying, and it will most certaintly drive players to this shard.

As for my own suggestion to this wounderfully thought out idea, is maybe that in the ranks, every month the 6 members with the highest rank can run for a leader type posistion, where he can order the NPC orcs to attack other clan bases, and discuss certain type of diplomatic options. Like alliances with other clans, rights of passage, and war and peace options.

Also, if the elected president or leader of the group for the month doesn't log on for five days, his powers can be shifted to the second most popular candidate.

Just some ideas.

Later

Beautiful. I was beginning to think I was the only one that felt this way. That basically sums it up.

And... thanks for the additional ideas. Awesome... well done. If the system is put it, I dont doubt things like these will be added as events.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Now... for Icey. Factions is NOT the same... Clans is the system for those who do not want to focus on neon hair and stupid blessed neon shit. Factions is about ganking everyone possible with the largest group available simply for points and silver. Res-killing simply for points? Stupid. This system isnt at all like that.

And... Icey. We all know how you feel. And... everytime you post, its something you posted earlier and your wrong about it. But... thank you for bumping the topic. At least your good for something.

Icey

Sorceror
if you're so inclined on playing a game where no one has neon blessed items/hair.. go play uo: rebirth. no one wants your shit here.

Z

ZugZug

This idea can't work, it will turn into another form of factions. If I read this right, any dewd, griefer or anyone in general could join? that's exactly why roleplaying didn't work on WoW or on "rp shards". I could see it now, dewd joins orc stone, dewd then says "wtf I pwn in duels and I get leader title so lets go pwn noobs, woot!"

The rules posted in this idea aren't going to work either because their trammlized, sorry
Zug

Icey said:
if you're so inclined on playing a game where no one has neon blessed items/hair.. go play uo: rebirth. no one wants your shit here.

Thats quite ironic...

You claim that no one wants my "shit" here. I would be forced to ask for clarification on what my "shit" is. If my "shit" is my "idea", then I would have to say your wrong, considering 31 think this should be implemented, 11 think something needs to be implemented, and only 30 think it shouldnt. I would have to say that more than half of the viewers of the topic "do" like my "shit". Please clarify.

Z

ZugZug

It would be nice to have GM sponsered RP towns. We're in the process of making two right now. Finishing the Orc/Undead town, Cove's pirates and savages and the good guy's town at Yew Jails. What we might need when the towns are finished is to inform all new and old UOG members of these towns some how. Also gates leader to all three rp towns from the brit counselor guild house might help.

IF your interested in seriously helping the RP community on UOG, post your ideas and suggestions on www.rpring.com/forum
Also we have a inner council forum for all leaders of the rp community here.

elias-hybrid

Wanderer
This whole idea destroys the point of rp if anyone could join the guilds. The idea is for people to develop a character and stay in that character. Not running around ganking people cause their a different clan or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.