UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Doom and Things (Re: 17 days in Doom)

otimpyre

Sorceror
3 ornys during my time on Demise. First one was hell to get. Mostly get anything but, that thing you want most. Then one day I had literally just gave my friend an orny that I had just got in gauntlet, then went on another round of gauntlet and got another orny on the very first room. Demise karma is real! I find the more I give the more I get. ~0 luck

otimpyre

Sorceror
All that disappointment that builds up after getting crap all goes away when you finally get those big ticket items. My first orny I literally ran out into my garage and did a little dance, fist pumped, and screamed YES! YES! YES! Wouldn't feel like a triumph if you went into gauntlet a few times and got them. Which now it is easier to get drops then back then.

Diz

Wanderer
That's a great anecdote Otim, we've all had moments like that in PvM over the years that justify hellacious grinds... but the point I'm really getting at is - how exactly is it feasible, economically speaking, to farm Doom consistently unless you're an archer, tamer, both... or necro spammer?

otimpyre

Sorceror
Economically you would be better off building a doom character that seldom leaves. But, I have burned millions in gold on skulls, farmed skulls, and sometimes just went into gauntlet for an hour or so and left. *shrugs* Do what you like. Save your money and buy the artifacts if you feel its cheaper. Still no experience like getting it on your own.

Reactions: Diz

Diz

Wanderer
Well, truly the cheapest way would be to buy X donation items, flip for gold, then buy the items you want from people in game... but like we all say, it's not a fulfilling experience is it. Nothing inherently wrong with essentially paying to play at all, though.

Appreciate your thoughts, and everyone else in this thread, I've read it 3 times now fully over the past month...

otimpyre

Sorceror
And I advise ignoring the "OMG I just got a _____" It does little for your moral. I personally say that often just before I leave empty handed to crush spirits . 75% of the time it is most likely a Demise veteran having a go at you lol

Americana

Sorceror
Point system seems to be working. I did a few hours in doom over many days and finally got the ever omnipotent Legacy of the Dream Lord.

Happened much faster than in the past. I might do more of this.

april0395

Sorceror
3 ornys during my time on Demise. First one was hell to get. Mostly get anything but, that thing you want most. Then one day I had literally just gave my friend an orny that I had just got in gauntlet, then went on another round of gauntlet and got another orny on the very first room. Demise karma is real! I find the more I give the more I get. ~0 luck

I was the recipient of the first orny, and I was still on a Skype call with him when he got his second orny not even 5 mins later. It's a true story!

raveX

Page

Great story. You sound like a really cool person.

Let's be friends. :rolleyes:
qué quiere decir "motives anterior". No comprendo.

Whatever98

Squire
this is excellent info 10/10

and your math is superb, very well balanced and intricate. truly impressive.

and very interesting :p

Vykintas

Sorceror
Been off like 3 years. Before that I was pretty lucky with artifacts (best result aof and totem in 2 hours). Could easily get one in a day or two. And I was camping Gountlet up to 8 hours per day. During that time I only used and still use dexxer with swordsmanship (120), tactics (120), healing (90.1), anatomy (110.9), chivaly (95), necromancy (84), parrying (100). HCI 45, DCI 45, DI about 70, luck about 200, slayer weapons which do ~90dmg to df, 70dmg to abysmall, ~40dmg to other monsters. Weapon spead is 1.25s. Now as I am back to UO I am raiding Gauntlet once again. Seems now I get arty in a 3-4 hours. At least got last 3 artys in range of that time. So at least for me system seems to be working just fine. But it would be cool, so I could see or somehow check amount of points I have at fixed time or gain after each kill.

Whatever98

Squire
Been off like 3 years. Before that I was pretty lucky with artifacts (best result aof and totem in 2 hours). Could easily get one in a day or two. And I was camping Gountlet up to 8 hours per day. During that time I only used and still use dexxer with swordsmanship (120), tactics (120), healing (90.1), anatomy (110.9), chivaly (95), necromancy (84), parrying (100). HCI 45, DCI 45, DI about 70, luck about 200, slayer weapons which do ~90dmg to df, 70dmg to abysmall, ~40dmg to other monsters. Weapon spead is 1.25s. Now as I am back to UO I am raiding Gauntlet once again. Seems now I get arty in a 3-4 hours. At least got last 3 artys in range of that time. So at least for me system seems to be working just fine. But it would be cool, so I could see or somehow check amount of points I have at fixed time or gain after each kill.

i dont remember writing this :p
but this is 100% what i do, and it 100% works

also i totally agree with the time frames he's giving, but i would say every 6 hours, but i do sit DFs out a lot

Diz

Wanderer
20 hours, 75k of tithing, 750 wep durability to get Holy Knight's Breastplate
25 hours, 50k tithing, 750 wep durability to get Legacy of the Dread Lord

Just to update this, another 30 hours on top of this has netted me:

Hunter's Headdress
another Holy Knight's Breastplate
The Dragon Slayer

Whatever98

Squire
keep at it dude, good one soon, it's just the odds :)

more bad ones means higher chance of good one next time :p
how i think about it ;)

keeps the rarity up too, which keeps the price high for when you do get a nice one

Diz

Wanderer
Here's a nice update and some more thoughts and info on how I'm both enjoying and not enjoying Doom so far. Like everything, take the good with the bad yada yada... long post ahead, TLDR = "meh, he's on the grind"...

Just to update this, another 30 hours on top of this has netted me:

Hunter's Headdress
another Holy Knight's Breastplate
The Dragon Slayer

Since then... well, this weekend I've been marathoning in Doom. I've slept 5 hours total, spent about 5 hours outside of game, and about 5 hours outside of Doom. Since then, I've got Helm of Insight, Gauntlets of Nobility, and Axe of the Heavens. So, to recap, so far...

Another 20+ hours for 3 arties worth about a million combined.

Brings my total list (since I started doing Doom), in order, to:
Holy Knight's Breastplate, Legacy of the Dreadlord, Hunter's Headdress, Holy Knight's Breastplate, The Dragon Slayer, Helm of Insight, Gauntlets of Nobility, and Axe of the Heavens.

By my account, of the 33 total Doom Gauntlet artifacts, approximately 10 of them - lets say a third - are worth over a million. Briefly analyzing this further for no particular reason, given values that I selected, gave an average (meaning if you sold one of each for around 120mil total) would average out to 3.64 mil per artifact, all things considered. Obviously, it's skewed a bit Orny AoF Totem etc, otherwise it would be much lower... more like 35.5 mil total, or 1 mil per artifact.

Looking at my list again, it's 8 artifacts so far, which total up to 7.9 mil... or about 1 mil per artifact.

In other words, Doom is basically like playing roulette, at a frantic pace with quiet people for hours on end.

Most of my downtime or time spent out of Doom so far in this marathon has been due to the zergs, meaning the pace is too fast to enjoy and the points are too diluted to be worth it unless you already have them stacked from earlier solo/light grouping.

I've seen a significant decrease in the timesink per artifact though lately, now that I'm using demon + undead mana leech slayers to keep pace with some of the more geared players dps. Currently using 800+ luck. However, melee is just flat out a lot more involved than archer with cu sidhe... said archers sometimes also use you as a tank and you have no other choice... not to mention you arbitrarily kill yourself at the worst possible times if you aren't running script or hands-on-keyboard.5 second reaction time to decurse yourself on Blood Oath since they're meleeing you in the face... and that leads to less damage output than ranged since they aren't cleansing or quaffing pots etc............ but all things considered, I'm having fun with it

I'm just being critical because I'm an honest guy and this is a lot of time to invest for basically inefficient returns (so far). It's a guaranteed gamble, but I dunno how much longer I can justify doing this as a way to gain wealth from actively playing the game, might as well just BOD til my account is veteran. Midgame is desolate here, for the record.

PS - here's pastebin of the arty value list i used to calculate http://pastebin.com/eaQ5H9RC

PPS - the irony is that i have more invested in my gear, which isn't even near top yet, than i have gained from doing Doom so i'm technically still in the red...

Last edited:

Indika

Sorceror
Well in 4 day's I have pulled 5 artifacts:

Dragon slayer, HH, Vile, Nobility, Tunic of Fire

I've probably averaged no more than 10 hours tops in that time. (it just couldn't be more than 10 hours)

My strategy is to whirlwind when there are multiple mobs and armor ignore when there are single mobs and im using 680 luck.

I think the best way to do doom currently based on my experience is to AoE with whirlwind, earthquake, meteor swarm, chain lightning, or wither as much as possible and push the rooms as fast as possible.

My logic here is my same logic for gold farming, or farming in pretty much any MMO I've ever played:

*Fast Kills = Quick loot*

marcusstone

Sorceror
I run a necro archer. I am there currently. I spam revrants and poison strike, and throw in armor ignores as well. I am using a mana leech bow. My Template only uses ss for healing, so I die occasionally. I find I usually don't get looting rights on the third room without spaming poison strike. I have probably done about 20 rounds total. So far no artifact. I have very little luck on my LRC suit (40 luck) I've pulled a couple nice loot items, but I think next time I come back I am going to bring luck items and slayer bows, I agree that pushing the room seems the best way to go.
Also, pretty sure Diz has gauntlet sickness. Watched him pull another dragon slayer, and bang his head off the wall repeatedly...

kgb

Squire

What? Diz have obtain just 8 items, i'm get 15 shitty items previous i have something worthable (my post above). Everybody have a drop sooner or later, everything else - its just about your human luck.

Diz

Wanderer
Luck is a terrible choice for quantifying success in a video game. People don't play video games in order to be arbitrarily lucky; they play the lottery for that, or gamble, or bet on sports.

Last night, capped off this incredibly disappointing marathon with one final run; 8 hours straight with no breaks longer than a minute or so, mostly 2-3 people entire time, sometimes solo sometimes 5. Blew through 350 durability like my hair was on fire, died some when it came down to me soloing til leechers came back. Alas, nothing. Had another Dragon Slayer earlier on Sunday though - that'll really set my bank account over into another tax bracket.

Sometimes I'm there from start to finish on Shadow Knight (with undead hml slayer) and I can't even get credit on the kill with only one, two other people there because by the time I go Consecrate, Enemy of One, Divine the mob is already dead. Even though I've wacked the guy 5 or 6 times minimum in those cases since the boss was bluelined... thank the stars that they tele hide and most derps dont detect, gives me a second to breath and open up with a point-saving AI.

Can't stick around to check corpses for jewels or w/e that actually might redeem such a colossal waste of time, cuz again the pace is as such where any downtime means even more time is being wasted. I love soloing Doom for this reason, that I'm actually able to take a look thru a pack, if nothing else...

Archers typically go out of their way to put agro on any melee, or take their pet off tanking to give agro back so that way melee has the onus of tanking, thus losing DPS. If the archer gains agro, they'll simply drag it on you or walk off screen. The only choice I have if I want to even attempt to try and maintain DPS with these guys is to do the same back to them. Same thing with pets.

And dem leechers, though. Do these people have ghost alts in Doom corners to watch when mob goes redline to run back and hit it 10x? Seriously, is there some sort of leech radar I'm unaware of. It's like ants at a picnic.

Melee has to repair more often, melee has to take risks getting hit all the time. I'd like to actually know the justification, for my own amusement, as to why their is such a stunning imbalance regarding templates for Doom. It's actually so absurd they only way I can accept is to consider the entire thing to be comically broken. I won't even mention Blood Oath (oops just did)...

There is literally no reason to do anything besides Archer with Cu and then take 5 mins to make a hands-off script to autopilot the place while you mousewalk away from any agro and watch a movie. Least amount of work, least amount of effort, high survival, high utility, so easy a caveman could do it. Doing anything else seems like an exercise in futility.

As far as Indica saying 'melee go whirlwind, gg' - well yeah that's easy if you a toon suited to the gills with a hundred mil setup. The sad thing is that this technique actually screws over any other template there, because it's a way to pump out extra mobs that they can whirlwind and keep the whole thing going, but those mobs create a problem for every other player... basically the sampire is able to use other mobs to boost their DPS by spawning them, whereas every other template is now hindered because they have to kill off threatening spawn and lower their DPS, or take extra hits from random spawn and thus lower survival/DPS. This should all be quite obvious.

At least a couple guys who I saw for maybe an hour or two total got AoFs and another guy got Orny this weekend next to me, so that was cool for a vicarious fleeting moment.

Last edited: