UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Earth was RAPED

woodycook

Knight
Earth was RAPED

Do you know how many nuclear bombs have actually been detonated in the world? The following video has accurate information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_qpx5Dxyo

The year is in the top right, the month is to the left of that.
Total number of nukes are on the bottom right.
I think you can figure out the rest.

Disgusting tbh.

Sundoom

Sorceror
Re: Earth was RAPED

So this Earth was Raped video..

Are you saying that we should have never done this in the first place?
Never do again?
Or America should have just finished the job?

woodycook

Knight

Sundoom;793528 said:
So this Earth was Raped video..

Are you saying that we should have never done this in the first place?
Never do again?
Or America should have just finished the job?

Well in my personal opinion I don't think any nuclear bombs should have been detonated at all, let alone 2000+.

India has the right idea if anything, by only testing one.

Lets play a game; Can anyone spot the cold war? ;)

Edit to add in: Apparently as for America, atmospheric testing has mostly stopped since 1998. There have been tests since then, but not nearly as many and none were American.
I find it ironic that America is pushing the non nuclear prolification treaty after we have already detonated ... what was it? 800+ bombs?

MB

Knight

woodycook;793531 said:
Well in my personal opinion I don't think any nuclear bombs should have been detonated at all
Your thoughts on Hiroshima/Nagasaki?

It almost sounds like a song.... a very very slow progressive electro song... with no baseline!

I learned about this a long time ago... it really shocked me, but I found out later that the vast majority of them were underground, which is still bad even for countless reasons we have yet to discover... but I'm glad they were not 2000 open-air nuclear blasts or 2000 hydrogen bomb explosions... russia's TZAR BOMBA (50MT) test was huge and the debris reached all continents of the Earth... however the US also detonated a few large hydrogen bombs in the pacific (above sea) and those, although not nearly as large as TZAR BOMBA, also are suspected to have global effects (I don't have a source :/)...

I remember reading a story about the Atoll islands (I think // this is off memory so plz understand)... basically a US test was scheduled for an empty island (they might have moved the islanders from it, in fact, don't remember)... but basically based on incorrect wind predictions or information... the fallout from the blast ended up landing on a nearby island with islanders and scientists... when the scientists realized on that island (somehow? I forget... totally ruining the story ROFL)... they could only tell the natives to not eat/play with the snow. Horrible...

However, it's done.. it's happened and it probably helped solidify our understanding of fusion... we can only use what we have gained to our well being now... as you can't undo the past ;)

silvertiger

Knight

I noticed that a majority of UK's nukes were in the US. Also that a majority of Frances were in the Ocean. The USSR's apparently were anywhere there was a nuke facility. I mean we have a Nuke facility here in Tennesee(the one that made one of the bombs that hit japan[oak ridge,]) but never has a nuke went off in Tennessee.

woodycook

Knight

MusclyBarbarian;793572 said:
Your thoughts on Hiroshima/Nagasaki?

A bit off topic, but I'll answer.

My opinion? A disgusting display of force and a failure of diplomacy. Anytime there is war it is the result of failure of diplomacy.

America had more atomic bombs on standby and planned on using them until Japan either surrendered or was totally destroyed.

America acts like 9-11 was the crime of the century in that 3000 American civilians were killed. Since 2003, the US has killed over 100,000 innocent civilians in Iraq alone. The world has a growing resentment towards America as it should, and the US will deem all those against American interests as "terrorists".

If you don't think there were other ways to end the war other than atomic bombs then you are a tool. :)

If anyone hasn't caught on.. my character name "Public Serpent" is a play on Public Servant, IE; Politicians.

Oaks

Knight

woodycook;793690 said:
If you don't think there were other ways to end the war other than atomic bombs then you are a tool. :)

Well, in the end, due to America using one in WW2 on Japan it could be suggested that it prevented many more deaths, as it achieved the result of Japan surrendering. What other ways were available which you would suggest they should have used ?

I would even carefully suggest that a lot more wars have come to an end due to one side having the upper hand, be it troops, technological advances, or whatever, and playing that card, as opposed to diplomacy.

And as for testing a-bombs - well, if you build one you obviously want to test it. And subsequently improve the design, which requires further testing. Only way to do so is to detonate one.

And Silvertiger - France has some(?) atolls in the Pacific there which are part of their territory and on which they tested their bombs.

woodycook

Knight

Oaks;793696 said:
Well, in the end, due to America using one in WW2 on Japan it could be suggested that it prevented many more deaths, as it achieved the result of Japan surrendering.

The bombings were not the cause of Japan surrendering. That is a myth.

The Emperor, the Lord Privy Seal, the Prime Minister, the Foreign Minister, and the Navy Minister had decided as early as May of 1945 that the war should be ended even if it meant acceptance of defeat on allied terms.

Historian Edwin P. Hoyt hit the nail on the head when he wrote this in a 1986 study:
"The fact is that as far as the Japanese militarists were concerned, the atomic bomb was just another weapon. The two atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were icing on the cake, and did not do as much damage as the firebombings of Japanese cities. The B-29 firebombing campaign had brought the destruction of 3,100,000 homes, leaving 15 million people homeless, and killing about a million of them. It was the ruthless firebombing, and Hirohito's realization that if necessary the Allies would completely destroy Japan and kill every Japanese to achieve "unconditional surrender" that persuaded him to the decision to end the war. The atomic bomb is indeed a fearsome weapon, but it was not the cause of Japan's surrender, even though the myth persists even to this day."

The only thing the 2 atomic bombs did is add another 200,000 civilian casualties to the 1 million already dead.
The US also set a very dangerous precedent by using nuclear weapons in war.

Oaks;793696 said:
And as for testing a-bombs - well, if you build one you obviously want to test it. And subsequently improve the design, which requires further testing. Only way to do so is to detonate one.

A detonation of any nuclear device is an insult to life itself. The dangerous pollution from all this testing will remain on Earth for centuries to come.

Countries are faced with the decision of:

A) Build nuclear warheads and further pollute mother Earth with testing and possible nuclear war.
or
B) Decide not to build Nuclear weapons and forever be left behind in the race of weapons intelligence.

Oaks

Knight

Myth or not, it surely would have speeded things up having a bomb that size exploding in your back yard I would think?

And as for pollution, well, nature itself is perfectly capable of producing the most pollution. Human beings still receive far greater concentrations of natural radiation from the very earth they walk on and the Sun I think ? And the pollution caused by human activities (from industries to simply getting rid of household rubbish) probably will have a far greater long term impact on the planet then nuclear radiation.

But to go back to my original question, what other ways could america have used to end the war? I'm a tool because I'm in the dark here.

(and i love a discussion)

Pont

Knight

The human race is just a mere spec in the existance of time, a blip. Much like the lifespan of a gnat compared to ours. So is the extance of Earth as we know it compared to the extent of the universe.

Just thought I'd add to all the happy thoughts. :p

Oaks

Knight
But you are right though. It's impossible for us with our current technology to literally wipe out the entire planet from any form of life. So no matter how badly we treat our lump of dust, although we are capable of making life harder for ourselves in the grand scheme of things earth is able to sort itself out. With or without us.

I am entirely opposed to some nature organisations claiming that it is "our" duty to keep the planet clean and safe. It's like you have to apologise for having evolved a brain capable of rational thought and inventing stuff and being born as a human being. Planet has been around for billions of years and when we arrived on the scene only quite recently we suddenly have the duty to "protect" it? Get real. As far as I'm concerned it just points to the huge ego we seem have of how important we are (which we are not, we are just temporary tenants so to speak).

Earth was raped multiple times in the course of its history by events far more destructive then we could ever possibly repeat. A 1000 odd a-bombs is nothing compared to those forces. (meteor impacts, huge volcanoes erupting, etc).

Meh, posted enough long winded crap.

Howl

Sorceror

the uk is breaking its agreement for nuclear disarmament with the plans to replace trident. they've only been delayed for inward-looking political reasons. disgusting how much of the taxpayers money is spent on weapons.

i think the earth's innumerable inhabitants kinda felt those nuclear weapons...

Howl

Sorceror

Oaks;793847 said:
But you are right though. It's impossible for us with our current technology to literally wipe out the entire planet from any form of life. So no matter how badly we treat our lump of dust, although we are capable of making life harder for ourselves in the grand scheme of things earth is able to sort itself out. With or without us.

I am entirely opposed to some nature organisations claiming that it is "our" duty to keep the planet clean and safe. It's like you have to apologise for having evolved a brain capable of rational thought and inventing stuff and being born as a human being. Planet has been around for billions of years and when we arrived on the scene only quite recently we suddenly have the duty to "protect" it? Get real. As far as I'm concerned it just points to the huge ego we seem have of how important we are (which we are not, we are just temporary tenants so to speak).

Earth was raped multiple times in the course of its history by events far more destructive then we could ever possibly repeat. A 1000 odd a-bombs is nothing compared to those forces. (meteor impacts, huge volcanoes erupting, etc).

Meh, posted enough long winded crap.

we're currently changing the earth at rates which rival its own processes. we're making changes that match the basic biogeochemical processes of the earth and putting as much of some gasses into the atmosphere as the earth puts there itself. we're hardly insignificant.

we do have a duty to the earth, since we have a duty to our future generations. nobody's talking about wiping life off of the earth, but merely changing it to the point where it becomes uninhabitable by humans. this would be a failure in the cause of social justice and a failure in our maintenance of the earth as its dutiful inhabitants. and believe me, it's not as hard as you think to achieve that.

"Even… all simultaneously existing societies… are not owners of the earth, they are simply its possessors, its beneficiaries, and have to bequeath it in an improved state to succeeding generations, as boni patres familias" - karl marx

woodycook

Knight

Oaks;793809 said:
And as for pollution, well, nature itself is perfectly capable of producing the most pollution. Human beings still receive far greater concentrations of natural radiation from the very earth they walk on and the Sun I think ? And the pollution caused by human activities (from industries to simply getting rid of household rubbish) probably will have a far greater long term impact on the planet then nuclear radiation.

Our atmosphere protects us against the majority of harmful radiation. When we detonate an atom bomb, we release intolerable amounts of radiation that is already passed our natural shield; our atmosphere.

Its true the Earth does have ways of dealing with many problems its come in contact with. For example, the huge amount of debris and garbage that has been dumped into our oceans. After many years, the plastics have been degraded by the sea water and have became "plastic beaches" in certain areas. But the thing about atom bombs is that the pollution's half life is so high that we are polluting the Earth with these cancer causing agents before they even have the chance to naturally dissipate.

Oaks;793809 said:
But to go back to my original question, what other ways could america have used to end the war? I'm a tool because I'm in the dark here.
(and i love a discussion)

Japan already had plans to end the war. The US knew this, the world knew this.

Howl;793860 said:
the uk is breaking its agreement for nuclear disarmament with the plans to replace trident. they've only been delayed for inward-looking political reasons. disgusting how much of the taxpayers money is spent on weapons.

i think the earth's innumerable inhabitants kinda felt those nuclear weapons...

Imagine using those billions of dollars on healthcare, space exploration, research, feeding the hungry, or fixing that damn pothole my car fell into? :p
People that have paid taxes all their lives lost their homes during Katrina and still remain homeless while we instead use money destroying each other.

The only thing we are doing by creating these weapons is further hampering the progress of mankind. amiright?

Oaks

Knight

Howl;793864 said:
we're currently changing the earth at rates which rival its own processes. we're making changes that match the basic biogeochemical processes of the earth and putting as much of some gasses into the atmosphere as the earth puts there itself. we're hardly insignificant.

Not true. Posted a reply to this before in the climate gate thread. Nature itself still puts far, far more harmful gasses in the atmosphere then we as humans do. All part of the natural cycle.

we do have a duty to the earth, since we have a duty to our future generations. nobody's talking about wiping life off of the earth, but merely changing it to the point where it becomes uninhabitable by humans. this would be a failure in the cause of social justice and a failure in our maintenance of the earth as its dutiful inhabitants. and believe me, it's not as hard as you think to achieve that.

I think you have been reading too many sociology books lately. Dutiful inhabitants..bit far fetched. Even if the planet becomes uninhabitable for us, doesn't mean the whole planet is doomed. It will sort out itself eventually and life in the form of bacteria/single cell organisms carries on anyway. We might need the planet for our survival, but unfortunately it is not the other way around.

"Even… all simultaneously existing societies… are not owners of the earth, they are simply its possessors, its beneficiaries, and have to bequeath it in an improved state to succeeding generations, as boni patres familias" - karl marx

Just because marx says this does not mean he's right. I can quote one of my mates too; "it's all bollocks!". Noone is right or wrong, but it helps to distance our own species in the bigger picture of the history of the planet.