UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Guide: Fishing

Symptom

Wanderer
Guide: Fishing

This is a guide to fishing for all of you that get bored and want to try something different on UOGamers.

Skill vs Reward:
-At .1 Fishing you have a chance of pulling up normal fish, footwear, and a mess of small fish.
-At 65 Fishing you will begin to pull up fish in deep water as well as the occasional "big fish". These "big fish" can be used by master carpenters to make fishing trophies.
-At 80 you will also begin to pull up empty serpents as well as serpents carrying special fishing nets(normal hue only). All serpents have a very slim chance (approx 1%) of carrying a level 2 treasure map.
-At 90 Fishing the serpents you pull up will also have a fair chance of carrying level 1 treasure maps.
-At 100 Fishing a few of your serpents will carry messages in bottles, or MiB's.

The small mess of fish come in 4 varieties:
truly rare fish - adds a temporary +5 to your str
wondrous fish - adds a temporary +5 to your dex
prized fish - adds a temporary +5 to your int
highly peculiar fish - restores 10 points of stam

Special Fishing Nets:
First of all, to use a special net with any success you need to be in the deep water. Double click the net and target the water. A few moments after you toss it in, some sea monsters will spawn. Anywhere from 1 to 3 monsters will appear at once and they are always water elementals, sea serpents, deap sea serpents, or krakens.(if a kraken spawns, it has a small chance of having a MiB on it as loot.)

Message in a bottle(MiBs):
First, double click on the bottle and it will turn into a waterstained SOS. Double click on the SOS and you'll see the coordinates of the location of the sunken treasure. Go grab a boat and a sextant and set sail to fish it up. You must have at least 65 skill to fish up the chest. Once the chest is fished up, just simply double click on it to open. No lockpicking is required, nor are the chests trapped. The level of the MiB is not predetermined, meaning they are ALL completely random. MiB levels range from 1 - 3.

MiB Levels:
LEVEL 1 Chests (1000 gold, 5 magic items, 4 scrolls, 3 gems, and 150 or so reagents)
LEVEL 2 Chests (2000 gold, 10 magic items, 8 scrolls, 6 gems, and 300 or so reagents)
LEVEL 3 Chests (3000 gold, 15 magic items, 12 scrolls, 9 gems, and 450 or so reagents)
While fishing up these chests you may fish up a few other various items such as pillows, paintings, shells, body parts, skeleton parts, unfinished barrels, broken clocks, or bone piles.

ATTENTION: MiBs is where you'll find your rare colored special fishing nets. The chance of getting colored net is very low.(I personally had to fish up roughly 25 MiBs before I got my first colored net.)

Special Fishing Net Colors:

Is fishing a skill worth having??
Well in my opinion, if you collect the scales and horned leather from sea serpents, or the many fishsteaks from the thousands of fish you'll catch, or even the few level 1 treasure maps, you can supply yourself with resources and a ton of food.....but if you're patient and manage to get yourself a colored net, you could sell it for a very nice profit.

So to answer the question if fishing worth having.....I'd say it's not for everyone. Try it out and use your own judgement.

:)

hoglegs

Sorceror
Re: Guide: Fishing

Nice guide.. This is how I got started on UOGamers...

Perhaps you could add the various character builds to fight the serps with..

resisting spells
fishing
item identification
archery
tactics
anatomy
healing

..being a good solid one

hoglegs

Sorceror

Unregistered;1648325 said:
dude i just gmed fishing and been fishing for like a long time, and ive pulled in nothing but regular fish and those stat altering....wtf....

You have to be on a boat out in the deep sea, I suppose this guide should cover that in more detail as well.. :p

U

Unregistered

ok so an SOS shows north and east coordinates... but the uopositioning system shows south and west....and i cant find any sextants...so how am i suposed to do this...

hoglegs

Sorceror

I use UO Automap. You can mark a spot on the map with the SOS coordinates and UOAM will show you exactly where that spot is.

Symptom

Wanderer

zazumage;1675114 said:
I've been fishing for hours now, on a boat outside brit, and I've only encountered one serpent and it didn't drop a MiB, even though i GM'd fishing. what's up with that? Is there a certain place where i should go to fish for MiBs?

Anywhere in deep water, but not all sea serpents have MiB's. Some have treasure maps, or just a special fising net. It's totally random. I remember fishing for 2 - 3 hours one day and didnt get a single MiB. Then another day of fishing, I fished up 7 or 8 MiB's in an hour.

Fishing can get very boring, So I recommend that you make your fisherman a cartographer with lockpicking, that way you can did up the treasure chests from the t-maps you get at sea.

Hope this info has been helpful.

ATTENTION: MiBs is where you'll find your rare colored special fishing nets. The chance of getting colored net is very low.(I personally had to fish up roughly 25 MiBs before I got my first colored net.)

FYI...I have pulled up a rare colored fishing net off of a serpant

Amazonia

Sorceror

hoglegs;1648318 said:
Nice guide.. This is how I got started on UOGamers...

Perhaps you could add the various character builds to fight the serps with..

resisting spells
fishing
item identification
archery
tactics
anatomy
healing

..being a good solid one

Just Poison the Serpent and it will die.

Rasputin Jones

Sorceror

The little buggers cure all the time mate, so you've got to keep poisoning.

Kraken are pussycats for poison though. That's why my main fisho is mage with poisoning.

My other three all use archery though, and that's tops for serpents.

Cheers,
Jimbo

Amazonia

Sorceror

Rasputin Jones;1719060 said:
The little buggers cure all the time mate, so you've got to keep poisoning.

Kraken are pussycats for poison though. That's why my main fisho is mage with poisoning.

My other three all use archery though, and that's tops for serpents.

Cheers,
Jimbo

Sea Serpents fails to cure my poison all the time.

gsc94

Sorceror

Good guide :)

About the coloured fishing nets, you get them with you double click the MiB??

Symptom

Wanderer

hoglegs;1743667 said:
you get them when you fish up the chest that the MiB leads you to.

Need to add:
a chance of recieving a colored net when fishing up a MiB.....

Hehe

i started this way on the shard when i got here. i found that having 3 fisherman and one person to fight the serps as they came up was very benficial. because you can hide as you fish they will all attack the fighting char. i also bought a long boat and set one on the front and side and back. i made them fish until they couldnt fish in that area. then i made one of the fisherman have a if conditional that said if system message there are no fish in this area or whatever the message is. then i would make it say left or right for about 3 seconds and then stop and start fishing. i could on average pull up 15 serps an hour. which is about 5 mibs an hour. the problem is you will never know when they pull the serps up and sometimes youll get like 3 at once. but its always fun.

Bladerunner1

Wanderer

no,

Also, symptom you should put that there is a 1% chance of a colored net in any serpent that is fished up, I'm not sure what the % chanc eis for an sos, i think it may be 2%.

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member

There's a 1% chance of a net having a special hue when it spawns. This counts for ALL nets, whether they spawn on serpents or MiBs.

Canabil

Wanderer

Awesome guide man. This is also how I started. Just wanted to post some Builds I use for Fishing.

Archery / Hider - "Good Solo and Nets"
Archery
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist Spells
Fishing
Hiding

Mage / Healer - "Good Solo"
Magery
Meditation
Resist Spells
Eval Int
Fishing
Anatomy
Healing

Mage / Bard - "Good Solo and Nets"
Magery
Meditation
Resist Spells
Eval Int
Fishing
Musicainship
Provocation

DeViiaNt

Knight

My fisher build is: Archery, Tactics, Anatomy, Music, Peacemaking, Magery and some resist. The arrows can pretty much kill the spawn without me controlling the character but the peacing is for a little help if you get a kraken up.