UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Legend or Not?

jmaster

Sorceror
Mr.Mischief said:
KoC were legends, Adam Ant of Napa was a legend. The ONLY people I'd say were legends from Test Center would be tomoyaki, flik, and Emped, and thats because they were more known throughout UO. Then theres Bill Nye, Ifrit, Ronald McDonald. These people have been remembered throughout UO for over 7 years now. They're legends if anyone else.
Adam, yes , Tomo, sure qop :) flik yeh ... but emped? i have to disagree with you on that :/ ill never see emped anywhere near a " legend "

CavewightGL

Wanderer
fdgdfg

mrpink said:
I am curious if there is any real legendary players from OSI that play on UOG. Whether it be a PK that was on the bounty board for a consecutive year and owned 30 houses (DARK PURIST - Sonoma) or whether it be a legendary scammer that CAME UP WITH scamming ideas 1st, or maybe you were the best thief? etc etc.

I AM the best looter/scammer of ALL TIME. OSI changed UO a few things BECAUSE OF ME and I was banned a few times for a few things:

These are all OLD SCHOOL.
1. Boat Looting: Log off a char on a boat next to docks and then with another char, move the boat so another person can put their boat there, and voila, yer on a new boat that you can loot!

2. Boat Looting (better method): This worked wonders: Sailing your ship up next to another ship and looting everything from the sides and from the corners of the ship, worked best looting small ships. (I did this once a week and sailed EVERYWHERE and made lots of loot)

3. House Scamming: A few years ago, this worked: Placing a small house next to a castle, a keep, or tower, or whatever you could find that was large, and advertise selling the keep, castle, or tower for a few million gold. Advertising for cheap (towers at this point sold for 5-10 million gold) meant stupid greedy people would want to buy your "tower or castle". Get to the house spot and let them see the castle or keep and sell them the small house instead. The coordinates look almost the same, gold can't be tracked, and the UO game itself sold for $20 at Wal-Mart. Hmm...... $20 for 2-5 million gold..... sounds good to me!

I did the house scamming using 3 accounts over a period of 8 days on different IPs than my regular accounts were on, made a grand total of 28 million gold and pissed off about 10 people. Of course each time I got an account banned, I would go right back to Wal-Mart and buy a new copy of UO :) === Once I got enough gold, I just bought a tower from a respectable person, and then about a year afterwards, AoS came on, so I quit.

So in my mind, this makes me a legend..... People posted about this on tradespot AND OSI changed their house trade ways because of it..... Of course, several people copied me, but didn't make as much as I did, because NOBODY knew about it.

As for the boat looting thing, 6 months after UO started, my 1st loot holding facility was a small boat and I liked sailing, and once I saw things sitting on other boats, I wanted them BADLY. :)

SONOMA all my time playing OSI.

Are you a REAL legend?

I scamed $4500 worth of artis in AoS and a yew gate house and luna house in prime location in one attempt sorry sir i win the best scammer ever reward

Name anyone whos topped $4500 worth of artis

Galgum

Page
CavewightGL said:
I scamed $4500 worth of artis in AoS and a yew gate house and luna house in prime location in one attempt sorry sir i win the best scammer ever reward

You were probably one of those assholes that reverse transactioned in paypal CLAIMING your account was used against your will when in fact it wasn't. Jerk. =(

By the way, reverse transactioning is not a scam, it's just mean. Anyone can do it.

zeyntih

Wanderer
salamando said:
Anyway, then I was banned a few times for UOExtreme usage, but since I was an IGM they let me keep coming back. Anyone on the eastern shards remember Twilight? I did a bunch of quests and events.

He didn't rat you out. Trust me. Someone else did.

Ironfist Max

Grendel23

Wanderer
salamando said:
We got banned from Ches for duping 128million gold, then we took the dupe to Seige and on day 2 had a large castle. :< We sold that dupe to SUN, and Ed McManus ratted us out and got to keep his account while we were all banned several times over.

Ugh I remember that quite well. I cheered when they were caught and received multiple bans, as did most of the Siege population. Are you actually proud of this? If it hadn't been caught it would have absolutely ruined the shard.

mrpink

Sorceror
CavewightGL said:

28 million gold in 8 days? That's the best ive seen if you ask me........ I could have done way better, but hey, im not too greedy.

Also, the reason alot of the people that are legends aren't known to anyone besides themselves is because they had to hide their identity from everyone else. You just have to believe they are legends if they say so.... If you can prove them wrong, then do so. Can't prove me wrong, because nobody besides a few people IRL knew that it was me who did the house scam, as well as the boat looting...........

mrpink

Sorceror
IronfistMax [F-U] said:
......I have won several dozen tournaments on several different shards. OSI, player run shards, hell I even ran off LoD on their own server (preuor.com?) I won the second tournament on IPY with 3/4 of a char done. Then they wiped the server. Ive won tournaments on AOS shards (Archeronne). Ive run successful guilds on many shards. Ive been #1 on 3 bounty boards, when they meant something, on OSI. People from other shards came to Chesapeake to duel our most elite. And they went home with dirt in their eyes. I have supposedly beaten the best of the best, from what im told. Don't get me wrong, I lose too. But I usually win. However I don't consider myself famous or a legend. So I don't think your taming story is either.

Ironfist Max

Ironfist, you MIGHT be a legend if you explained the story behind your accomplishments..... Although, if you have no remarkable story to backup your achievements, then you are NOT a legend as you say...... But some of these people do have an awesome story behind their fame. Also, IMO, to be a good pvper, all you need is some good macros, fast hands, and maybe a few utilities to help you win, but winning IS NOT EVERYTHING.... countless times ive seen certain people be winners for a length of time. Ironfist, believe it or not, but some pvpers/guild leaders are worthy of legend.

Also, I know of nobody's names besides DARK PURIST (only because I saw his name on the bounty board every damned day @ #1 for a year (this was when archery was good)), because either the real legends names were not known throughout UO (infamous as they may be). I have been telling the story of my house scamming and boat looting for years now, and a few people remember it, but I haven't told it to very many people up to this point.... And of course, if you got scammed for millions of gold, would you tell anyone, maybe a few people, but not too many..... I'd be ashamed to have gotten scammed so easily.

I'm sure that a few employees of EA (that like UO) (OSI) would probably bring up the scam that I did, as well as many of the other scams and accomplishments of other players throughout the shards. So alot of us truly are legends to people we don't know and may never know.

I suggest some of you go to dictionary.com or look up in your household dictionaries the meaning of a "legend" in the reference this thread is referring to.

Grendel23

Wanderer
mrpink said:
I suggest some of you go to dictionary.com or look up in your household dictionaries the meaning of a "legend" in the reference this thread is referring to.

From Britannica.com:

Legend - A traditional story or group of stories told about a particular person or place. Formerly the term legend meant a tale about a saint.

Later the word legend encompassed great heroes of mythology and the like. The stories posted here are far from 'legendary' in those terms, and the perpetrators that are so happily forthright about their actions are anything but saints. Most of what's being described here is worthy of criminal action. Congratulations on being petty thieves.

Grendel23

Wanderer
mrpink said:
Good job Astri for only quoting partial meanings of the word.

Feel free to try to find one that supports petty thieves, vandals or criminals of any kind as legends. My 'partial meaning' was the first article hit definition on Brittanica.com.

fonis

Knight
Considering you wont' find anyone on UO to fit that definition as no one gives enough of a shit to think of any act in UO as "saintly," simply being famous (or infamous) to a very large portion of the given shard (or shards) is enough.

Unless, you yourself think that a computer game can be saintly and you actually idolize some players on it? If so, then seek help.

Galgum

Page
Who ever said you had to be on the side of good to be a legend? Think of Urban Legends, you down a bag of pop-rocks and chug a can of soda and your stomache is supposed to explode. Doesn't sound very good to me.

Grendel23

Wanderer
fonis said:
Unless, you yourself think that a computer game can be saintly and you actually idolize some players on it? If so, then seek help.

I think mmorpgs are virtual facsimiles of any 'real life' society. Much of what occurred in the early days of UO could be paralleled with the violent results detailed in 'The Lord of the Flies' where the removal of authority gave the children in the book the freedom to destroy themselves and their own little bubble of society. In the same sense there were people who went to great lengths to contribute to and build their virtual homeland, thankfully. While I wouldn't qualify any of the activities of a gamer as saintly, it's easy enough to see the difference between those who tried to destroy and ruin the game for thousands of people and those who did the opposite. It's incredible to me that those children responsible for so much damage and criminal behavior seem proud of themselves for it years later. Let's see you braggarts explain your actions to your mothers, assuming you have one, and then have them come here posting in praise of your petty theivery.

Grendel23

Wanderer
Galgum said:
Who ever said you had to be on the side of good to be a legend? Think of Urban Legends, you down a bag of pop-rocks and chug a can of soda and your stomache is supposed to explode. Doesn't sound very good to me.

You're right, the term 'urban legend' brought a bastardization of the word that probably contributes to the notion that anything people remember and have heard repeated could be qualified as a legend. Historically, however, for thousands of years in fact - you could not properly refer to the perpetrator of criminal behavior as a 'legend'. It was simply not the proper term. Infamous, notorious, a term that qualifies the fame involved as having been negative would be far more appropriate. Words are malleable though, naturally. So many things these days are 'gay' that once were lame, for instance, when ten years ago that would have meant it was homosexual and fifty years ago merely happy. So go ahead and call yourself legends, for all the power a word brings. But most of you are nothing more than criminals.

Galgum

Page
You know I said I wasn't a legend, that I perhaps did something of legend. Do you think the boating blockade and the ruining of the Great Lakes economy are bad? I knew what I was doing with the boat thing, and in essense, I was preventing illegal macroers from macroing. As for the economy thing, I can't say I had a complete grasp on the consequence of what I was doing. I mean, how often do you think to yourself, "hey killing this cow might cause the quitting of 5 players" It seemed so small getting gold and selling it to players. How was I supposed to know the entire shard's economy would have died?