UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Lets build a stronger RP community together!

Are player run communities meant to be a part of UO?

• Yes

Votes: 89 89.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nappaca

Sorceror
Re: Lets build a stronger RP community together!

there a question what happen to red rp that good into the town and get gank by non rp i thinkt hey wont even bother going there

kio123

Knight

faciton based rp.. armies of roleplayers in faction.. yea sure bring me a coffee along

BryanJ

Wanderer

Jake Blackstone said:
Alright I got a solution to our problem, what if we made a faction aligned guild that would RP our ownership of one town? This town we would protect and recapture if it was taken by the enemy. To go along with this we would have a storyline and events. We could organize armies in order to defend it. So what do you guys think?

While the concept itself isn't bad, factions is about the most non-roleplay thing on this server. Factions encourages cheap tactics/ power gaming, the antithesis of roleplay.

OK, the faction we have chosen will be the True Britannians and the town will be Trinsic. Our next step will be to gather enough money for a HQ and a guildstone. Once we get this set up we will start accepting members. I will try to set up a forums for us as soon as possable. I hope that this RP community will add a new mix of RP with PvPing to the shard! I will keep you posted with the progress of this town.

BryanJ

Wanderer

Jake Blackstone said:
OK, the faction we have chosen will be the True Britannians and the town will be Trinsic. Our next step will be to gather enough money for a HQ and a guildstone. Once we get this set up we will start accepting members. I will try to set up a forums for us as soon as possable. I hope that this RP community will add a new mix of RP with PvPing to the shard! I will keep you posted with the progress of this town.

This community hasn't been without pvp; in fact, some argue that it is/was too focused on pvp.

Sirch-hybrid

Wanderer

Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself. As Blackstone mentioned in his first post, i will be helping him set up the RP community.

Sorrynametaken said:
While the concept itself isn't bad, factions is about the most non-roleplay thing on this server. Factions encourages cheap tactics/ power gaming, the antithesis of roleplay.

I think that one of the biggest problems with rp is the lack of a main goal. What often happens is a group of people decide to build a community, then stay in charactar for a while, but there is really nothing for them to do and they drift apart.
In our old community in IN2, we feuded with the local pk guilds, and our common goal of one day defeating these people kept us together. We helped our younger players grow, and organized hunts to keep the guild supplied. We built an armory for guildmembers to be able to fight the reds, and most importantly, we became a team.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the guild only worked when we had a single goal uniting us, and pvp will always create challenges for us to deal with as a guild.

When you think about it, all competition is powergaming. The most skilled competitors in any competition, whether it be sports, war, or even uo, are the ones who can get as many advantages as possible in order to defeat their opponents. Saying that powergaming is the antithesis of rp is like saying that rp cannot exist side by side with competition, and of course that is absurd. Competition creates challenges, and all guilds thrive when its members are banding together to meet challenges.

Sorry for the long reply, but I think it's very important to make the point that pvp and rp are NOT opposites. In reality they enhance each other. Pvp gives RPers a common goal to focus on, and rp gives pvp extra flavor. Factions encourage Pvp in its purest form, unrestricted competition. And it's very difficult to create a compelling rp guild that doesnt involve pvp.

kio123

Knight

Sirch said:
Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself. As Blackstone mentioned in his first post, i will be helping him set up the RP community.

I think that one of the biggest problems with rp is the lack of a main goal. What often happens is a group of people decide to build a community, then stay in charactar for a while, but there is really nothing for them to do and they drift apart.
In our old community in IN2, we feuded with the local pk guilds, and our common goal of one day defeating these people kept us together. We helped our younger players grow, and organized hunts to keep the guild supplied. We built an armory for guildmembers to be able to fight the reds, and most importantly, we became a team.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the guild only worked when we had a single goal uniting us, and pvp will always create challenges for us to deal with as a guild.

When you think about it, all competition is powergaming. The most skilled competitors in any competition, whether it be sports, war, or even uo, are the ones who can get as many advantages as possible in order to defeat their opponents. Saying that powergaming is the antithesis of rp is like saying that rp cannot exist side by side with competition, and of course that is absurd. Competition creates challenges, and all guilds thrive when its members are banding together to meet challenges.

Sorry for the long reply, but I think it's very important to make the point that pvp and rp are NOT opposites. In reality they enhance each other. Pvp gives RPers a common goal to focus on, and rp gives pvp extra flavor. Factions encourage Pvp in its purest form, unrestricted competition. And it's very difficult to create a compelling rp guild that doesnt involve pvp.

yes i was thinking about that
but i was also thinking that to compete with hybrids pvper, i need magery and all the tricks i need for pvp, which includes scripting auto macro etc
but come to think of it i really cant play a knight that is summoning his ethy and casting magic trap and auto heal

if i at least want to make a difficult kill of myself without magery i need healing and anatomy, which are senseless skills for anyone other than healers, clerics etc.

to compete, you need to master (gm) all your skills. but then how can i become a moderate person? i mean everybody will be the master thief the master mage the master paladin master of everything. there leaves no sense at all

im not saying pvp should be seperated from rp. what i think is the actual, going on pvp of the shard should be saparated from roleplayers and roleplayer should be allowed to come up with their own pvp

BryanJ

Wanderer

Sirch said:
It seems so silling to put these together; everyone would be like "lol, i rp a alchy mage." You make it sound like we don't pvp, which we certainly do between the guilds and in the case of orcs/savages, defending their base. The problem with this is that at times it seemed like this is all that rp was, and that there seemed to be little actual interaction. Honesty, you're argueing against a position that doesn't exist.

Sirch said:
No one in this thread said anything like this.(rp opposite of pvp) You seem to have good intentions, but strawmen don't help.

Sirch-hybrid

Wanderer

To SorryNameTaken:
Once again, you said

Sorrynametaken said:
Factions encourages cheap tactics/ power gaming, the antithesis of roleplay.

and also

Sorrynametaken said:
No one in this thread said anything like this.(rp opposite of pvp) You seem to have good intentions, but strawmen don't help.

The reason that factions encourage powergaming and cheap tactics is because factions encourage mass-pvp. All serious competition devolves into finding the most effective tactics (believe it or not, "cheap" tactics are by definition effective, often overly effective). Powergaming is just another word for learning and implementing all these "cheap" tactics. PVP is nothing more than finding the most effective combat tactics and applying them in a fight, so if "cheap tactics and powergaming" is the antithesis of RP, then PVP is the antithesis of RP.

That is where I got the idea that you thought pvp and rp were opposites. I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but i dont see how you could have meant anything else. If you did mean something else, please explain.

Sorrynametaken said:
It seems so silling to put these together; everyone would be like "lol, i rp a alchy mage." You make it sound like we don't pvp, which we certainly do between the guilds and in the case of orcs/savages, defending their base. The problem with this is that at times it seemed like this is all that rp was, and that there seemed to be little actual interaction. Honesty, you're argueing against a position that doesn't exist.

We know that hybrid players pvp, that is why we chose this shard to start an rp/pvp community. Like you said, RP guilds would often have too much pvp. And I think pvp guilds can be enhanced by adding RP. Its not an original concept, but does that mean we are not allowed to mix rp and pvp?

To kio:

In this guild, your character's skillset isn't as important in defining your character as the way you act with others. If you act like a chivalrous knight, you will be one, no matter how well you can heal with bandaids.

kio123 said:
im not saying pvp should be seperated from rp. what i think is the actual, going on pvp of the shard should be saparated from roleplayers and roleplayer should be allowed to come up with their own pvp

Given that the rp playerbase seems pretty small at the moment, it doesn't look like that is a complete possibility. Of course, when we get enough support to start doing rp events, we will have some only-rp pvp.

edit- added response to kio

Alright, if anyone needs help getting any sort of rp activity off the ground just come to me and i will have no prob helping in any way.

BryanJ

Wanderer

Sirch said:
The reason that factions encourage powergaming and cheap tactics is because factions encourage mass-pvp. All serious competition devolves into finding the most effective tactics (believe it or not, "cheap" tactics are by definition effective, often overly effective). Powergaming is just another word for learning and implementing all these "cheap" tactics. PVP is nothing more than finding the most effective combat tactics and applying them in a fight, so if "cheap tactics and powergaming" is the antithesis of RP, then PVP is the antithesis of RP.

That is where I got the idea that you thought pvp and rp were opposites. I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but i dont see how you could have meant anything else. If you did mean something else, please explain.
By cheap tactics I'm refering to exploits and that "clone" thing I've seen done. These are the most effective tactics, but I don't agree with that(Cheating is the most effective way to win). Now, I doubt you meant stuff like that from your statement; that is what I meant.

Sirch said:
We know that hybrid players pvp, that is why we chose this shard to start an rp/pvp community. Like you said, RP guilds would often have too much pvp. And I think pvp guilds can be enhanced by adding RP. Its not an original concept, but does that mean we are not allowed to mix rp and pvp?

I suggest you do what you are saying; make a pvp guild enhanced with rp. Right now, I think you are talking to the wrong audience.

Danny Gnosis

Wanderer

That sounds great. You sound so enthusiactic about it and make such a moving speech. Why would anyone not one too :). Ill serve as best i can with my support.

Demented4Life

Sorceror

I'd like to help revive RP on this shard. Im not exactly sure on anything about Imbus, if someone could give me a link (that works) explaining the whole point of turing t2a (a place where no houses can be placed w/o a gm doing so) into an RP zone, I'd appreciate it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but couldnt they unlock Ilsh? Just give it a Felucca ruleset and have only housing for RP towns. This would not only provide space for more than one large RP town, without destroying the house market, but also create a new facet for RPers that isnt as screwed up as t2a (imbus now I guess). If they could unlock Ilsh, I understand that it would take a lot of time to create a spawn for the whole area, but would it not be better than t2a? Again, correct me if im wrong about them being able to unlock Ilsh..or if it would even be a viable idea to open that can of worms..

atraz

Wanderer

Just a quick example of an allready run society is core (at core-uo.com)

atraz

Wanderer

Just a suggested city.. Trinsic... its a very very good city for RP!

Status
Not open for further replies.