UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Lockpicking Guide

Lockpicking Guide

Here is a quick guide to raising lockpicking. Lockpicking is an easy skill to macro raising, but it does take time. I Raised the skill to 95 in about a day and a half, but it did take all night and most of the day running the macro that I had created.

One thing to know is, Lockpicking is the Hardest Skill to GM in the game. Period. Other Skills are harder to Raise. But you'll spend more time going from 95-100, then a Tamer will spend going from 50-100. This is because after 95 skill, you'll only get gains from level 3 and level 4 Treasure Maps.

I'd recommend buying this skill at 50, mainly because finding locks that you can open at anything less then 50 skill is going to be very hard.

First off, get a someone with Tinkering and Carpentry to make you a locked chest or box. MAKE SURE THAT THE TINKER IS NOT GM. You want a Box made by someone at about 50 Tinkering. Their level of Carpentry doesn't matter. The difficulty of a player made locked chest is determined by the tinkering skill only.

Now, set up a macro to lock the box, then use lockpicks on the chest. Its not a perfect macro, but it works. Be sure to stock up on lockpicks.

A 50 skill chest should raise you to at least 70 skill. At this point you'll want a chest made by someone with about 75 Tinkering. Once you reach about 80-85 you should be able to start on the Chests made by the NPC Tinkers.

This will raise you to a maximum of 95 Lockpicking. After that, you will only get gains off of the chests found on Treasure Maps.

Keep in mind that you cannot Even Attempt to open a level 5 Treasure Map until GM Lockpicking.

Hope this Helps!

Redorb

Wanderer
You got chests off of Tinker NPCs? i got to 75 lockpicking using a tinker at 50 skill i made for the box.. but i wont gain anymore and i cant find what you are talking about.. I see no chests on npc tinkers... if anyone have one of these from when they were training i would appreciate it..

Miral007

Wanderer
well when you use an axe you get a nasty trap surprise, since you cant remove the trap unless the lock is picked...

Does the axe work and drop the contents to the floor?

I dont mind dieing at home LOL next top the Brit moon gate so not far from a res ;)

tansor

Wanderer
GM-ed Lockpicking in 5 hours. Now can open t-chests from blood elies:)
If anybody want their chest to be opened, just ask) though the main thing there is a 6 lvl t-map :)

wain

Wanderer
Actually you should be able to gain from dungeon chests. atleast in osi you do gain from those. But i dont know if dungeon chests are implemented here yet. Correct me if im wrong. There should be different lvl dungeon chests from lvl 1 to 4

jharris

Wanderer
i had a gm lockpicker on OSI and here's what I did:
set up this internal UO macro in the options:

last object
wait for targ
target last

now target the treasure chest using a spell or the shovel you used to dig up... anything (except lockpicks) as long as you target it.

now double click your lockpicks and press esc to clear the target.
now hit your macro over and over and over..
doing this will cause you to unlock the chest several times... it saves time and gold you waste on lvl 3-4 tmaps..
i know that dungeon chests will help you gain too, try using this trick on them also...

mymago

Wanderer
clarification

I was completely prepared to start the long task of recording an osi style macro for this and then was told that I didn't have to because I could get to 95 using single chests. (Thank you Drull for saving me hours of work!)

Now, set up a macro to lock the box, then use lockpicks on the chest. Its not a perfect macro, but it works. Be sure to stock up on lockpicks.

There actually is a better way to make it work faster and prettier!

If (JournalContains "appear")
Double Click (key)
Wait for Target
Absolute Target
Pause 1.00 second (pause optional, I personally hate waiting for time outs)
End If
Double Click (lockpicks)
Wait for Target
Absolute Target
Pause 1.00 second (optional)

Since the only message that appears in the bottom left hand corner of your screen is That does not appear to be locked. this will get you going just nicely and it will only lock the chest if it has been picked open, otherwise it will try to pick over and over til it succeeds.

With this macro all I needed to do at each new box was retarget the new key and the two Absolute targets to the new box

i used chests made by tinekrs with skill lvls of 30, 50, 88 to reach 95 lockpicking.

This is a better plan, I used a tinker with bought tinker/carpenter at about 30-33 to create a box and this took me all the way to around 45, could have gone longer but skill slowed down and I was able to open the next box.

Next box was made with a character that was started at 50 tink/carp and this took me literally to 75.0 and no higher, it reached 75 somewhere in the night and just wouldn't gain anymore.

Last box was made with a character with 97 tink / 100 carp (I'm sure the 88 skill was plenty but I didn't have a char at that level) and this took me the rest of the way to 95.

I dont think I used more than 500-600 lockpicks, I could be wrong, I wasn't paying attention, but I had plenty as that is how I got my tinker up.

Good luck!

qweazdak

Wanderer
Last box was made with a character with 97 tink / 100 carp (I'm sure the 88 skill was plenty but I didn't have a char at that level) and this took me the rest of the way.
88 was all i had on my other mule :p, luckily it worked