UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Magic the Gathering.

Ulizeus

Sorceror
Re: Magic the Gathering.

Pandacious;378973 said:
Anyone here play Magic the Gathering?

Discuss.

I used to play it 10 years ago, played the online version too (u bought the starter pack that comes with a gift code that allows u to buy the account).

But is 1 of my more expensive hobbies, even comics cost less, and u need credit card to play online, the people around here dont know it, so I dont play it anymore, lots play at the university, but will need to buy a lot of boosters couse all my decks are now banned :(.

Pandacious

Wanderer

Well, now they have Magic Workstation, which is kind of like Magic Online, but free.

www.magicworkstation.com

Anyways, I play quite competitively. I went to the State regionals last year, plan on going again this year. I go to the weekly Sanctioned tournaments as well. I dunno, it's just one of my hobbies. I guess I plan to hit Semi-professional/professional one of these days. I've been playing competitively for about 2 and a half years, and I'm one of the younger players I know.

I don't know if anyone will know what I'm talking about, but lately I've been playing the Reveillark combo deck, whoa man is it strong.

I guess I started playing(non-competitively) when I was like 14ish? It's a very fun, and challenging game.

VenusTheGoat

Sorceror

I used to play a lot but not any more. Its definitely fun and very enjoyable but as it was mentioned before quite expensive as well. I seriously don't like the approach Wotc has taken on the game. Expansions every 3 months? That too fast. On the other hand that is why more and more people play this game.

Indefinitely Magic the gathering is the king of all trading card games. I've tried a few and I'm adamant about that :p On a side note the fairly new WoW trading card game is kinda nice as well [it has been influenced heavily from Magic] its worth a try.

From the time I started playing Magic the Gathering (Ursa block) I always preferred Type I tournaments but I'm afraid they weren't (still aren't) very often organized in Greece. Type II (unofficial and official) tournies are held once or twice a week but Type I tournies only once a year :( In Toronto, I haven't even seen a shop selling Magic so I seriously have no idea of what goes.

I've built several decks over the years. Two that still remain are: 1) Goblin Deck (fast, vicious, powerful yet weak if rounds go by). 2) Custom combo deck. I'm quite proud of this one. Took me time and quite a lot of money to complete.

Pandacious, I have no idea of what the Reveillark combo deck is (I stopped playing just before Champions of Kamigawa was released) care to explain? I'm just curious to what actually goes in Type II these days :)

Jamboish

Wanderer

Haha. Mean green got me into final 4 in the mini tournies held at local comic book stores. Hell, but that was back when Wild Mongrel's were the thing. Run with 4 of them, 4 giant growths, 4 birds of paradise. You know, the basics. I loved this deck because even if the game draws out awhile, I can hold my own :) But nothing better than a 5th turn concede :) Mongrel's can get big quick if you get the right draw..

On the other hand. The Sliver deck years ago was the shit :)

Pandacious

Wanderer

Yeah, when I first started I would always play green also.

Actually, I haven't played too much in the Type 1 format, but I think my favourites are Standard and Legacy format.

Alright, so this is how Reveillark works...

You need 3 cards to pull it off.

Reveillark 4W

Flying

When Reveillark leaves play return up to two creature cards with power 2 or less from graveyard to play

5W Evoke(You may play this spell for its evoke cost, if you do sacrifice it when it comes into play)

4/3

Mirror Entity 2W

Changeling(this card is every creature type at all times)

x: Creatures you control become X/X and gain all creature types until end of turn

1/1

Body Double 4U

When Body double comes into play, you may choose a creature card in a graveyard, if you do Body Double comes into play as a copy of that creature.

0/0

So, you have Body double, and Mirror Entity in play and Reveillark in the graveyard, and some creatures in the graveyard that are power 2 or less and have an ability when it comes into play like "return target permanent when this comes into play" "gain 2 life" or "draw cards" I personally use, Draw, and bounce cards. So, then you activate Mirror entities ability, paying 0 and in response to that activation you activate again for 0, and just keep responding as many times as you want. So, you have like 60 activations of all of your creatures becoming 0/0s on the stack. So here is how it goes, the first one goes off, everything in play dies. The Body Double, which is copying Reveillark goes off, so you get two creatures from your graveyard and put them into play. So, the ideal creatures would be, Get a body double copying reveillark and something to bounce, you bounce, everything dies, reveillark goes off. You repeat this. So basically you bounce everything they have, gain a bunch of life, and draw tons of cards. And the ideal move is when the 59th one goes off get 2 Body doubles copying reveillark, then after the 60th goes off get a mirror entity, a Body double, second body double, and a flyer. Next turn you use mirror entities ability, paying x for 20 and you swing for 80 damage to win the game.

Now, the deck isn't strong just because of the combo, it's got some really powerful bounce combinations, and your guys are really hard to get rid of with Reveillark, just so many ways to win. A really strong deck. It's actually one of the most popular decks in the format now. It's one of the funnest type II decks I've ever played.

[Drakull]

Knight

sigh... last time I played was like 4-5 years ago... so I would need a lot of "refreshing" to catch up with the new features and cards :(

VenusTheGoat

Sorceror

That's pretty wicked especially for Type II. Its definitely strong but can easily be countered so I'd say its not imbalanced and its definitely FUN! All combo decks are enjoyable :D

I think I'm hooked again :eek: Magic here I come :D

jrhather

Wanderer

VenusTheGoat;378999 said:
I used to play a lot but not any more. Its definitely fun and very enjoyable but as it was mentioned before quite expensive as well. I seriously don't like the approach Wotc has taken on the game. Expansions every 3 months? That too fast. On the other hand that is why more and more people play this game.

Indefinitely Magic the gathering is the king of all trading card games. I've tried a few and I'm adamant about that :p On a side note the fairly new WoW trading card game is kinda nice as well [it has been influenced heavily from Magic] its worth a try.

From the time I started playing Magic the Gathering (Ursa block) I always preferred Type I tournaments but I'm afraid they weren't (still aren't) very often organized in Greece. Type II (unofficial and official) tournies are held once or twice a week but Type I tournies only once a year :( In Toronto, I haven't even seen a shop selling Magic so I seriously have no idea of what goes.

I've built several decks over the years. Two that still remain are: 1) Goblin Deck (fast, vicious, powerful yet weak if rounds go by). 2) Custom combo deck. I'm quite proud of this one. Took me time and quite a lot of money to complete.

Pandacious, I have no idea of what the Reveillark combo deck is (I stopped playing just before Champions of Kamigawa was released) care to explain? I'm just curious to what actually goes in Type II these days :)
Best combo ever? Channel - Fireball -Mountain - Black lotus. You sacrifice 20 life to do 20 damage. His damage resolves and you win the game before your damage resolves. This has been banned since...'97? '98?

Jambo-demise;379004 said:
Haha. Mean green got me into final 4 in the mini tournies held at local comic book stores. Hell, but that was back when Wild Mongrel's were the thing. Run with 4 of them, 4 giant growths, 4 birds of paradise. You know, the basics. I loved this deck because even if the game draws out awhile, I can hold my own :) But nothing better than a 5th turn concede :) Mongrel's can get big quick if you get the right draw..

On the other hand. The Sliver deck years ago was the shit :)
Slivers were too easily defeated. White Weenie all the way either classic or the Kamigawa Block

Drakull-demise;379014 said:
I won the only mini tourney I went in a local store... it was not that bad :)
Me too. Suicide black with a touch of blue for counterspells. Booyah.

Pandacious

Wanderer

Channel, Fireball, Black Lotus, Mountain was okish...

However, there was a combo deck that came out in the Legacy format last year, that could beat the player going first before he even before drew his first card. The deck was called "Hulk Flash". It drastically altered the format when it was around, but it was banned only a month or two after being discovered. There basic combo is rather simple. You would have some acceleration in hand, like a Elvish spirit guide, and then this land that automatically came into play with the ability to tap for any color if you went second. You use this two mana, to play flash... A two mana instant that puts a creature from your hand into play and then immediately sacrifices it. So, you would get a creature called "Protean Hulk", when it leaves play you get to get creatures that total up to 6 total converted mana cost into play. You get these 8 artifacts that are x/x and x to cast, and then 4 disciples of the vault(deals 1 damage to target whenever an artifact goes into graveyard from play). So, all of the artifacts die, and they take 32. Of course this wasn't how the deck normally played out, in fact it usually was in more of a more stable combo based build, but this was just an example of the fasted it could go.

VenusTheGoat

Sorceror

Hahahahaha! That's pretty wicked :D Gotta love combo decks. When you say they banned the deck do you actually mean they banned a specific card (i.e flash) I'm asking because I've never heard of Wotc banning a whole deck...

Still I find it unreasonable to actually ban a card that works wonders with a combination of another 5...It doesn't make any sense.

How about Black Lotus, Lotus Petal, Mox (Green or Red), Land (Red or Green), Ball Lightning, Berserk, Fork...That's legal and deadlier :p Most of the cards are restricted but not banned..

Pandacious

Wanderer

Well, yeah. They banned Flash, I said "banned" to mean they pretty much broke it. As for the cards you listed, most of them are already banned in Legacy, or not very good alone.

Combo decks are definitely amazing, though.

emopenguin

Sorceror

AMAGAWD i love playing magic its the only card game i play nowadays and is always a relaxxed break,even tournaments, that take me away from uo. i have been playing for about 10 years since Mercadian Masques came out. The best deck ever is the rebel deck, couter rebel aint too bad either. =d if someone happens to have some xtra cards lying around that they dont want hooks me up =d

pbguy434

Knight

When I used to play Magic when I was little, I always bought the basic starter pack thingy that came with 60 or so cards because it had the most. Little did I know that the cards were always the same every time and you have to buy the smaller packs to get different ones. I also remember getting totally jewed out of a 7/7 creature card because I didn't know what it was (and still don't, but I was told they were pretty leet).

jrhather

Wanderer

emopenguin;379190 said:
AMAGAWD i love playing magic its the only card game i play nowadays and is always a relaxxed break,even tournaments, that take me away from uo. i have been playing for about 10 years since Mercadian Masques came out. The best deck ever is the rebel deck, couter rebel aint too bad either. =d if someone happens to have some xtra cards lying around that they dont want hooks me up =d
I stopped playing when my mother trashed all of my cards, Beta, Arabian, Legends and some Alpha and extras because she thought I was obsessed and didn't have any friends.

MTG was prolly the most social thing I've ever done IRL. That dumb twat cost me about 9 grand in MTG and gear.

Gah. Still pisses me off.