UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Non-stand-and-slash MMORPGS?

Howl

Sorceror
Non-stand-and-slash MMORPGS?

So, UO is excellent. It offers everything. However, it gets a bit boring now. Galder and I are looking for an exciting new adventure on teh interwebs. Anyone got any suggestions? I checked out FFXI out of my love for the series, but the PvP looks like ultimate fail. Two characters standing next to each other karate-chopping into the air with little numbers above their heads. So, can anyone suggest a game that has something in the way of the following?

• Non-stand-and-slash PvP
  • FUN PvM with like interesting goals and puzzles n shiz and maybe a decent storyline
  • Doesn't take a decade to get to a reasonable standard
  • Not an endless progress quest where the developers keep releasing new shiz just to keep you playing and make you never good enough
  • Challenging
  • Large universe

Re: Non-stand-and-slash MMORPGS?

Aion Online isn't too bad.

There's a free server for it now too.

Very similar to the basic grinding of an MMO... but hey... you can fly around on your wings to try and catch people!

Barnicoat

Knight

treett0;752588 said:
runescape?

It can get pretty addicting. But its one of the least imaginative games I've ever played, and I played for quite awhile (mainly due to good friends). It was playable until they leached the last drop of creativity out of it about 12 - 18 months ago.

I've tried this same question here twice. Both times i was bored of both UO and WoW.

In the end, im playing WoW again for the third time.

The best game i've found was Dungeons and Dragons Online, where you need to click or press a button to slash, where you can raise your shield, where you can aim and cast or click and it will auto aim. But the auto aim is smart and walls will break spells, instad of making them go around the wall and hit the target. In other word, freedom of actions.

Also you have total freedom to customize your characters abilites, inside the class restrictions (pretty much D&D 4th edition, but online).

The problem is: The game has little support for free players. It will get boring reaaaaally fast without premium quests, since you'll need to grind quests several times. Also, although raw character appearance has some awesome feats, the armour is not customizable, only the torso will grant changes to your character appearance. Also, helmets are badly done and do not combine with the also badly done armour.

If you havent, try it out. It might be the game you're looking for. Free players can evolve to high levels and they can get the same gear and feats as premium players. Its just way slower and harder to do so.

Anyways, if you find anyother game that meets your requirements, feel free to share, i'd love to find something better than WoW.

Barnicoat

Knight

I still think UO is the best we've got :p That's not to say there isn't a lot of room for improvement, I just think the base idea is very good.

Mayar-demise

Sorceror

Howl;752583 said:

• Non-stand-and-slash PvP
  • FUN PvM with like interesting goals and puzzles n shiz and maybe a decent storyline
  • Doesn't take a decade to get to a reasonable standard
  • Not an endless progress quest where the developers keep releasing new shiz just to keep you playing and make you never good enough
  • Challenging
  • Large universe

I think you need some EVE experience, my friend. A huge galaxy with hundreds of systems where you can be anything you want - pirate, mercenary, trader, industrialist, militia officer - just ANYTHING you can imagine. PvP requires not only skillz but brains too ;). PvM field may offer you chance of getting one of the best ships and equipment.
Tho .. there are some downgrades .. while you may not need macro your way in this world - skill training (even if it continues when you go offline) is getting very time consuming, and getting part of the big - soverenity folding aliances may not be an easy task.
Nevertheless - if you dont try it you will never know :D

Howl

Sorceror

Thanks for suggestions. D&D and Aion look good, I will try those.

Just had a look at the EVE website, the video made me LOL: "In chaos theory, there's a concept known as sensitive dependence on initial conditions. Most people call it the butterfly effect." That IS chaos theory. = /

Galder1

Sorceror

i guess we gotta wait for Old Republic or some new game from Ea :D i ve had a look on Eve, hillarious video, cant deny ;P
Ah and have ya seen this Mortal online, it seems like improved Conan on Oblivion graphic engine

psz

Administrator

Gotta agree with DDO: It seems GREAT...... Until you've done about 12 or so quests in the first major city. (Which is actually the second city you visit)

About that time, you start wanting to ramp up, but as a free player you're limited.

Loved the "(almost?) All dungeons are Instances". Loved the "Choose your level of dungeon" (Including Solo, BTW). Especially loved how, depending on where you are quest-wise, the world appeared differently to your char compared to others.

Lucifall

Knight

Howl;752638 said:
Thanks for suggestions. D&D and Aion look good, I will try those.

Just had a look at the EVE website, the video made me LOL: "In chaos theory, there's a concept known as sensitive dependence on initial conditions. Most people call it the butterfly effect." That IS chaos theory. = /

Aion is a WoW clone. Just go for WoW. If you do, send me a PM.

Howl

Sorceror

Galder1;752677 said:
i guess we gotta wait for Old Republic or some new game from Ea :D i ve had a look on Eve, hillarious video, cant deny ;P
Ah and have ya seen this Mortal online, it seems like improved Conan on Oblivion graphic engine

Yeah, Mortal Online seems good. Old Republic 3 would be best, if it doesn't cost too much and I can run it on machine with no computer lag. Have you looked at Guild Wars? Seems a bit shite TBH, but what do you think?

I even considered an OSI shard for UO, to do all the ML and SA stuff and bigger PvP battles, but I hate the thought of starting over again in the UO world and it taking FOREVER to build a decent char.

Howl

Sorceror

Lucifall;752712 said:
Aion is a WoW clone. Just go for WoW. If you do, send me a PM.

I will have to consider WoW, but it's a bit of a progress quest, is it not? I sure will if I do try it out.

Howl

Sorceror

psz;752690 said:
Gotta agree with DDO: It seems GREAT...... Until you've done about 12 or so quests in the first major city. (Which is actually the second city you visit)

About that time, you start wanting to ramp up, but as a free player you're limited.

Loved the "(almost?) All dungeons are Instances". Loved the "Choose your level of dungeon" (Including Solo, BTW). Especially loved how, depending on where you are quest-wise, the world appeared differently to your char compared to others.

That makes me sorely tempted! One thing I get so bored of is repetitiveness. I wonder how many times we've all stormed into Despise each?

Lucifall

Knight

Howl;752724 said:
I will have to consider WoW, but it's a bit of a progress quest, is it not? I sure will if I do try it out.

Think of it like UO.

You raise your toon, get geared and do PvP. Except there's no real limit or limit to who you are fighting against. It's not the usual Demise Barcode Vs Zerg Vs China vs ??? where it's always the same people fighting.

PvM is actually fun in it as well. lol

Howl

Sorceror

I quite like the different and small number of factions we have here in Demise, it's just a shame there's so much bullshit with it at the moment (always been?) and all of the guilds have kind of crumbled or gone rotten. It'd be nice to face different opponents all the time though. I love Demise for being able to raise a char in a few days and then send him out on the field. I thought in WoW that if you didn't obsessively grind every day you'd end up getting outran by a stretch by the next muther trucker on a nicer horse than you?

Lucifall

Knight

If you play on retail, yeah, it takes a long ass time. I play on a high-rate private server.

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_061910_185204.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_061910_185204.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 80

EvilChild

Knight

What server is this?

I wouldn't mind something to do in between WoEs.

Also,

DDO = shit
MO = shit
Aion = shit

Davey_Havok

Sorceror

Barnicoat;752613 said:
It can get pretty addicting. But its one of the least imaginative games I've ever played, and I played for quite awhile (mainly due to good friends).

Good friends don't let friends play Runescape......