UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Start of the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

top notch

Wanderer
Re: Start of the universe

a fat women came into my work today and bought a coca cola, and a snickers.. i laughed when she was gone.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

Lynyrd said:
I am afraid the human mind cannot comprehend the absolute truth of it all. I accept this as a fact and exist in peace, knowing that I cannot know. This is why we must have faith.
I disagree. I would say we are engrained to take that which we know for granted. Because we take what we know for granted, many people believe that all we know is all there is. But, in the same token, because we take what we know for granted it is easy to believe that is all we can know.

I love belief, in all forms and respect and appreciate anyone that stands by his or her beliefs. Including scientists.

I am at peace because I know death is inevitable and unpredictable and thus we can all relax and enjoy the ride. But I have an inner urge to pursue reality. As if, anything that is not the active pursuit for reality is a total waste of time. There may not be an omnipotent "truth", but there is definitely more, and I will never stop reaching for it.

Flipper said:
i want to know but fear the answer
What is there to fear? I know the exact feeling of fear you're talking about, I'm just interested to know where you're coming from.
Flipper said:
the thing that scares me most is that the only logical answer i can come up with states that we do not exist
Do you mean we do not exist physically? Or that we do not exist at all? If we do not exist at all, what is this right now? A conscious illusion would still be an existence, would it not? Would you say your consciousness exists?

Gotta love Alex Grey, nice pic, Ape.

Myrddin

Sorceror

It took me 23 hours to populate our first version of the universe. Alkiser kept deleting doors and being an asshole about NPC placement.

sunfiregt

Wanderer

Suil Ban;1199912 said:
you're not a hybrid forum moderator
used to be.. just havent changed my sig since i started playing again, ut thanks for reminding me.. i forgot about it.

Stert

Sorceror

Xternal_Fire;75159 said:
Well In my science book it says that the universe with all the gasses and stuff in it went and started gathering at a central point about 13billion years ago...And well
what doesn't make sense it that the gasses came together in space with by definiton is a void of nothing...tell me this how can something be created out of nothing?

I think thats why people believe that there is a "god" or supreme being that created everything and has a plan for everything

Me personally I'm kinda liking the Men In Black theory atm

am i a little late to this thread? =)

i just have one thing to add to this question: we dont even know what space is, so i would say we dont have a real definit anwer to what "space" is. space is not "by definition" empty. einstein in his early work with general relativity stumbled upon what is called a cosmlogical constant. this is something that permiates all space. therefor space itself can be used as a reference for motion, more specifically accelerated motion.
the ideas you hold about space are what we trhought a VERY long time ago but were all found to be false. space is not just a big stage within which events happen. space is a very 'real' and 'alive' i guess you could say.

no one can tell you a specific answer, and there has always been something, be it god or the physical material. but a theory that has become pretty established is expansionary cosmology.

the cyclical cosmoligical theories have all pretty much been debunked so you dont have to worry about the universe collapsing, the more realistic alternative would be that everything floats away from everything else until we are very very alone (but humans would be gone way before this happens).
but the more we measure, the more we think that there is just the right amount of mass/energy in the universe that attractive and repulsive gravity will eventualy balance out.

i didnt read through all 60 pages of this so sorry if any of this has been covered.

and i dont remember who said it, but it was in the first or second page. something about how our old pictures could be tricking us into thinking there was a begining. could you explaint that more?

oh and to RacecaR (the guy on the first page that said to read the brian greene book angels and deamons): STFU NEWB!

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

Stert;1200002 said:
i didnt read through all 60 pages of this so sorry if any of this has been covered.
I have read all 60 pages, and you brought up an unvoiced perspective. Welcome!

Stert said:
and i dont remember who said it, but it was in the first or second page. something about how our old pictures could be tricking us into thinking there was a begining. could you explaint that more?
I don't remember either, but it was probably me, hehe. I think it was in reference to the film Waking Life which is exceptional if you haven't seen it. The dialogue in the film is similar to this:

When you look at a photo, the persons in the photo - especially if the photo is very old - don't look anything like the persons in modern life. Because of this, to connect the persons in the photo with you in modern life, you must tell a story, like "This was me when I was five, I went to school, I got married, and now..."

So it takes telling a story, that for all intents and purposes is a fiction based loosely on fact, to tie yourself to this photo. So are you the same person you were at that time? You look different, but is the you that is you the same? Especially, when you take into account that your bodies cells are constantly dying and being rebuilt and, over the course of seven years, your entire body has been "rebuilt" in that same way.

So where does the real you come into play? How do you remain the quintessentially the same if all the cells of your physical body die and are rebuilt on a gradual seven year cycle?

fonis

Knight

It was weird seeing my friend Xternal_fire's user name pop up on the forum list again. Had to do a double-take.

Valentino

Sorceror

Cebrious Arcane;1303736 said:
How do you remain the quintessentially the same if all the cells of your physical body die and are rebuilt on a gradual seven year cycle?

Easy: your dna which is embedded in every cell, old or new.

Status
Not open for further replies.