UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

[SVN] Skinning Knives to return you cut leather

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SVN] Skinning Knives to return you cut leather

Type: Missing Feature

Basic Description: Skinning knives, when used to carve, should return you cut leather directly in your backpack. But only if equipped

Way to experience: Skin a creature with a skinning knife equipped and you still have hides.

Detailed Description: As above. This is also the base for the ML Butcher War Cleaver, that has the same behaviour but doesn't need to be equipped. About this one, it's already included in MalGanis' ML and it will be implemented when ML is going to be implemented.

Links: http://www.uoguide.com/Leather

Code:
see below
This is a fix. I tried and it works. It involves 2 files, becuase in Corpse.cs there is the need to add another variable for OnCarve: the item used.

If you use a skinning knife, it returns you hides in the corpse. But if you equip it and you use it, it returns cut leather directly in your backpack. If you go overweight, they go on the ground.

Code:
Index: Scripts/Engines/AI/Creature/BaseCreature.cs
===================================================================
--- Scripts/Engines/AI/Creature/BaseCreature.cs    (revision 319)
+++ Scripts/Engines/AI/Creature/BaseCreature.cs    (working copy)
@@ -1191,7 +1191,7 @@
         {
         }

-        public virtual void OnCarve( Mobile from, Corpse corpse )
+        public virtual void OnCarve( Mobile from, Corpse corpse, Item with )
         {
             int feathers = Feathers;
             int wool = Wool;
@@ -1243,7 +1243,33 @@
                     from.SendLocalizedMessage( 500467 ); // You carve some meat, which remains on the corpse.
                 }

-                if ( hides != 0 )
+                if ( hides != 0 && with is SkinningKnife && with.Parent == from && Core.AOS )
+                
+                {
+                    Item leather = null;
+
+                    if (HideType == HideType.Regular)
+                        leather = new Leather(hides);
+                    else if (HideType == HideType.Spined)
+                        leather = new SpinedLeather(hides);
+                    else if (HideType == HideType.Horned)
+                        leather = new HornedLeather(hides);
+                    else if (HideType == HideType.Barbed)
+                        leather = new BarbedLeather(hides);
+
+                    if (leather != null)
+                    {
+                        if (!from.PlaceInBackpack(leather))
+                        {
+                            leather.MoveToWorld(from.Location, from.Map);
+                            from.SendLocalizedMessage(1077182); // Your backpack is too full, and it falls to the ground.    
+                        }
+                        else
+                            from.SendLocalizedMessage(1073555); // You skin it and place the cut-up hides in your backpack.        
+                    }
+                }
+
+                else if ( hides != 0 )
                 {
                     if ( HideType == HideType.Regular )
                         corpse.DropItem( new Hides( hides ) );
Index: Scripts/Items/Misc/Corpses/Corpse.cs
===================================================================
--- Scripts/Items/Misc/Corpses/Corpse.cs    (revision 319)
+++ Scripts/Items/Misc/Corpses/Corpse.cs    (working copy)
@@ -959,7 +959,7 @@
             }
             else if ( dead is BaseCreature )
             {
-                ((BaseCreature)dead).OnCarve( from, this );
+                ((BaseCreature)dead).OnCarve( from, this, item );
             }
             else
             {

EDIT: there are some questions below that still need an answer before signal this as ready for commit

LadyCrimson

Wanderer
Re: Skinning Knives to return you cut leather

I believe this came with AOS. I don't remember it working before then. Granted, that's a matter of taking my word for it so official documentation would be WAY better.

LC

LadyCrimson;558466 said:
I believe this came with AOS. I don't remember it working before then. Granted, that's a matter of taking my word for it so official documentation would be WAY better.

LC

No official documentation on the Internet, as far as I reached to search. But I have found this: http://mydotdot.com/dfiwiki/index.php?title=AOS:Tips

that is a wiki of another shards, telling some tips for AOS. In these tips, there is the skinning knife behaviour.

So... I think I can set it as AOS and ready to commit. Just give me some minutes to do the proper changes to the script and the post above, and to the bugfix thread index :)

uome

Bug Hunter

Lightly tested no problems so far.

Question. When skinning a mobile that carries both scales and leather should the scales remain on the corpse? At the moment they do remain on the corpse and i'm assuming they should, was just wondering.

uome;558548 said:
Lightly tested no problems so far.

Question. When skinning a mobile that carries both scales and leather should the scales remain on the corpse? At the moment they do remain on the corpse and i'm assuming they should, was just wondering.

afaik, scales remain on corpse. But later I'll have a look about ;)

gilgamash

Knight

It's not very different from my version except for one more option in the if-clause :)

Nikki_Demise

Bug Hunter

osd_daedalus;558452 said:
It's a post-AOS fix, tested with all expansions, and ready for the commit!

1. Is there a range requirement on how close to a corpse you have to be.
2. According to UO guide you don't have to use the dagger just have it equipped see http://www.uoguide.com/Skinning_Knife
If you have one equipped, skinning a creature with any bladed item will automatically convert their Leather Hides to Leather, carve off any available meat, render scales, and pluck feathers - The leather will be automatically picked up for you.
3. Should this work if you do not have looting rights on the corpse? Without a looting rights check this allows you to steal leather in trammel.
4. If you can not put the leather in your pack does it drop to the ground or the corpse? Does it drop as leather or hides?

I took a whack at this earlier and had to many unanswered questions to consider it ready for submission.

gilgamash

Knight

I see it this way:

Skinning knife in use, distance to corpse as always, leather does not drop in backpack but remain in corpse. That would make things easy, implementable and for a first version fine enough.

I think stuff like direct flow into backpack and handling of the 'not possible' cas can be postponed.

My opnion only, though.

G.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

Nikki_Demise;558591 said:
3. Should this work if you do not have looting rights on the corpse? Without a looting rights check this allows you to steal leather in trammel.

If you did not have looting rights, you shouldn't be permitted to carve it.

AFAIK, nope. It works just like when you carve normally.
2. According to UO guide you don't have to use the dagger just have it equipped see http://www.uoguide.com/Skinning_Knife

AH! I have read everywhere only skinning knives do the job, and now... Imagine a katana (yes, it can carve).

EDIT: and if you click "Bladed" in UOGuide you read:

Of all Bladed weapons the Skinning Knife is an exceptional case. With one equipped, skinning a creature with a Bladed item will automatically convert the Leather Hides to Leather then place them in your backpack (even if you are not carrying Scissors).

Yes, I really want a confirm in OSI about.

Good point, I have not thought about it. We are still in testing then.
So, according to LC, you should not to be permitted to carve bodies if you don't have looting rights.

In theory, I think now it works as normal carving, if you do it you become grey. Not sure if you "steal" leather that way, though.

Another question: and what if you carve "normally" without looting rights in Trammel in OSI? Are you disallowed to do that, or you can and become grey as it is in RunUO now?

4. If you can not put the leather in your pack does it drop to the ground or the corpse? Does it drop as leather or hides?

It drops on the ground as leather.

Well, I think I have to withdraw this from the list "to commit", there are still a few of issues to resolve first.

Kiluad

Sorceror

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=95330

What special properties do Skinning Knives & Butcher's War Cleavers have for gathering leathers?

These weapons can, under the right circumstances, save you LOTS of time. Normally, when you skin a creature, you get its hides (that weigh 5 stone per hide) in a pile. You then have to get those hides from the creature's corpse, then cut those hides with scissors into "Cut Leather" which only weighs 1 stone each). The Skinning Knife and the Butcher's War Cleaver make this a MUCH easier job, by bypassing several of those steps.

A Skinning Knife, if held in the character's hand, will cut the leather DIRECTLY into cut leather, and (if the character's weight carried is about 360 or less) put those cut leathers directly into the character's backpack.

I found more info :)

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=30051

There are two weapons that come in handy for leather gathering, as they can cut several steps out of the process - the Skinning Knife, and the Butcher's War Cleaver.

* The Skinning Knife only works properly when equipped. you can double-click on it, while equipped, and then target the corpse. The skinning knife is a 1-handed swords weapon.​
* The Butcher's War Cleaver functions in the same manner, but does NOT have to be equipped (it just has to be somewhere in your pack). However, it weighs substantially more than the skinning knife. It is, however, the game's only Bovine Slayer weapon, meaning if used as a weapon, it does +100% damage to Cows, Bulls and Gaman. The Butcher's War Cleaver is a two-handed fencing weapon, and requires an uncommon Blacksmith recipe from the elven cities of Sanctuary or Heartwood to craft. However, it can be crafted with runics, to add additional properties.​
* Using either tool in the proper manner, as described, will cut the corpse's leather (if any) directly into cut leather, and "usually" moves it directly into the character's pack. I say "usually", because there are a couple of caveats to this.​
  • First of all, the character's pack, in terms of items, must be less than HALF full (under 63 items - BOD books count as 1 item for empty-4 BODs, +1 item per additional 5 BODs); being over 63 items results in the leather remaining on the corpse.
  • Secondly, the leather temporarily exists in hide form, for the calculations, even if you don't see it. If the weight of the hides would put your total weight over 390 or 400 stone, the process "hiccups" as well, leaving it in the corpse.
In either case, while the leather is left in the corpse, it is still cut into the 1-stone cut leather pieces (as a stack), instead of hides. It is unclear whether the limit is 390 or 400 for the second issue, but both weights reflect old weight limits hard-coded into some of the ancient recesses of UO. 390 is the old maximum carrying weight, when it relied on strength alone, and stats could not go above 100 (it is still the carrying capacity of of 100-STR elves). 400 was the maximum capacity of a character's backpack, before it was expanded to 550 with the release of Mondain's Legacy (and most containers, other than secures, STILL have that 400 stone limit).
* There appears to be the potential for conflict if multiple skinning knives, or a skinning knife and a Butcher's War Cleaver are carried at the same time, where the process does not work properly. It is believed that a person uses item A, then when looking for an item with that property, the software finds item B first, and sees that it isn't equipped, and causes the process to go awry. It doesn't always happen, but it's something to avoid.​
* Lastly, it doesn't automatically loot anything else. For bones, scales, meat, gold and other loot, you still have to open the corpse and pull them out the old fashioned way (or right click the items in KR, to auto-loot each item from the corpse).​

uome

Bug Hunter

using dead's version, there is a range check. 4 tiles and over you recieve the message "that is to far away" and the corpse is not skinned.

Nikki_Demise;55891 said:
With deads version you have to double click the equiped dagger and then target the corpse, if unequiped you cut hides that remain on the corpse. I did try other tools equiped and unequiped, atm the skinning knife is the only one that returns you cut leather when equiped.

Nikki_Demise;55891 said:
Using dead's version i was able to use an equiped skinning knife on a corpse i had no looting rights on and recieved the leather in my pack. On doing this i got the massage "you have performed a criminal act" and went grey. Doing it in a guardzone i got gaurdwhacked imediatly.
There was no warning of "you are about to perform a criminal act, would you like to continue"
Nikki_Demise;55891 said:
Using deads version. If you backpack is full the cut leather drops to the ground and you recieve the message "your backpack is too full, and it falls to the ground"

Gisela

Bug Hunter

Using dead's version i was able to use an equiped skinning knife on a corpse i had no looting rights on and recieved the leather in my pack. On doing this i got the massage "you have performed a criminal act" and went grey. Doing it in a guardzone i got gaurdwhacked imediatly.
There was no warning of "you are about to perform a criminal act, would you like to continue"
It's been like that on Demise at least the 6+ months I've been here. Try it on the live server :)

Minus the falling into your pack part.

uome

Bug Hunter

Gisela;558657 said:
It's been like that on Demise at least the 6+ months I've been here. Try it on the live server :)

Minus the falling into your pack part.
But atm on demise under the trammel ruleset you are unable to open the corpse so can't steal the leather???

Should there be a "you are about to perform a criminal act" warning when trying to skin a corpse you have no rights on? similar to the gump you get when you try and heal a monster?

Kiluad

Sorceror

uome;558661 said:
Should there be a "you are about to perform a criminal act" warning when trying to skin a corpse you have no rights on? similar to the gump you get when you try and heal a monster?

not unless you're in fel.

Gisela

Bug Hunter

Yeah but I would expect that to give a criminal act warning. Anyway, I'm just pointing out that osd's code didn't introduce that part.

Kiluad

Sorceror

osd_daedalus;558627 said:
Yes, I really want a confirm in OSI about.

Good luck confirming anything on EA/OSI. they generally let stratics do that for them, by linking to them.

Nikki_Demise

Bug Hunter

Kiluad;558683 said:
Good luck confirming anything on EA/OSI. they generally let stratics do that for them, by linking to them.

That's what OSI testing is for.

Kiluad;558683 said:

that's why I ask in the first post of the Bugfix Thread to search for more than one source of documentation.
Stratics is in some part outdated.
UOGuide is a wiki and sometimes tells contrastant things (like this one about carving for cut leather). BTW we should modify what it's written there when we will get the truth

UO Playguide it's the official OSI source so I think what is written there is much correspondent to OSI, but it is not as detailed as first two, and in some cases it's outdated it too! (i.e. Damage Increase cap)

I know 2-3 people that has a OSI account and I'm sure they will be happy to do some little tests for us about this :)

P.S. It's also important to know what happen in OSI when you try to carve in Trammel an animal you have not looting rights with. Maybe there is a bug associated to this skinning knife fact.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

While I did test the skinning knife feature, I did not test it on an animal I didn't kill. I'm probably going to re-open my OSI accounts now for testing.... blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.