UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Thieves and Thievery: The Guide.

Re: Thieves and Thievery: The Absolute Guide.

erendor said:
thieves:
Recommended Stats:
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
100 Stealing
100 Snooping
100 Magery
100 Evaluate intelligence
100 Meditation.
You can change up Stealth+Snooping for other PvP skills (like healing and anatomy) if you like, but they’re useful for the thief aspect.[/b]

[/B]
I have Stealing,snooping,stealth,hiding,alchemy,healing,anatomy. when i get attacked for stealing i throw a few pots and run :)

Godsgift

Wanderer

Is there a way to macro stealth without using the 8x8 method that is so common? I use razor and don't have a boat or enough money to get a boat.

erendor

Wanderer

The 8x8 method does not work on this server, so you need to just do it the normal way.

Godsgift

Wanderer

I don't know what that is. It has been 3 years since I have played UO. I am kind of lost.

da1a

Wanderer

um so is it true that stealing success rate depends on my dex?

erendor

Wanderer

Normal way = Hide, then use stealth. You need at least 80 hiding to start training stealth. Have fun. :|

jackpot

Wanderer

Right whats the command to get the disguise kit as "name disguise" (exact words, havent used my own char name) doesnt seem to work. Do you need to be in the thiefs guild before you can get it ?

Nice guide btw.

erendor

Wanderer

Doh. The "name" stands for the name of the guildmaster. If his name is Qusaz, you'd say "Qusaz disguise" . You must be in the thieves guild to acquire it, and also to use it.

Kalpon777

Wanderer

erendor said:
It’s just retarded. There is way too little nowadays that can be stolen and be worth it at a bank – it’s all either blessed or too heavy or they’re being careful about it. Plus, even when you can steal things, you’re very likely going to get guard whacked. Doing this just so people lose things is griefing, and it’s just plain stupid. Having another character or friend stand by to pick up the stuff from your body is lame as well, there’s no skill in getting yourself continuously killed to gain a few regs/statues.
Edit: Okay, so this is just my opinion. Some people find that waiting at the bank for a half-decent mark and using a friend to ensure success is worth it (and possibly fun). I don't bother with it, since I don't see much risk in having a friend ready to pick it from your corpse, and so no fun there for me. You might disagree.

Ah, but what about a thief who is solo, yet still manages a good 100k or more a day from "Bank thieving?"

"Also, you'll more then likely lose a lot of respect (you may not care) from doing this, since I'm sure that the majority agree that bank thieves are much less skillful."

That's a very misconstrued concept, stealing at a bank is THE hardest thing to do as a thief; better yet, stealing and getting away. It's all about the tactics.

Kalpon777

Wanderer

Majere said:
I have Stealing,snooping,stealth,hiding,alchemy,healing,anatomy. when i get attacked for stealing i throw a few pots and run :)

Heh, mine are stealing, snooping, stealth, hiding, healing, fencing, and poisoning. It's fairly ineffective against group attacks; especially mages, but when warriors attack me because of permagrey, well let's just say they get it handed to them. And as far as mages go; one hit from a dp'd dagger and they either gotta chug or cast, both of which take time, and for a good thief, more than enough time to sneak away ;-)

Thx for the guide, Also a good macro in razor is:

Open item type: backpack
Open item type: pouch
Open item type: bag

Now there 2 ways you can use this macro to get into bags that are under objects:

A: Walk up to someone and continuously run this macro until it randomly selects the pouch in there bag (it counts people and your own bags as items it should open) and opens it.

B: Run this macro about 10 times in succession, it'll run it one after another and queue you up for about a 30 seconds. During this time your going to want to have there pack open and be lifting items (You have to drop them somewhere, rune books work). What this allows you to do see what’s under items, when you find the victims pouch/bag you double click it. Don’t do anything else, let the queue run out. Then walk to the victim and last object them, the hidden bag will open.

Hope this helps some people.

Skippy The Jester said:
I've played a thief for a long time. I don't want to add in any little secrets or goodies. But I noticed for some reason it feels like you didn't make Dex the most important stat you can have as a thief.

Dexterity is THE most important stat you can have as a thief anyways. The higher your dex (Useless after 100) the more of a success rate you will have stealing. It also depends upon the targets Dex(The higher their dex, lower your success rate, the lower their dex the higher your success rate), Your Dex (If someone has higher dexterity than you, it will be much more difficult to steal from)and the Dex of those surrounding you on your success rate of stealing. There, I got that little bug off my shoulder. Good Guide. :]

*Jumps into the Air and flies away*

How sure are you that this is a factor in the formula on UOG?

Kalpon777

Wanderer

Sloth said:
How sure are you that this is a factor in the formula on UOG?

I am, I've had thieves since 98 on osi, and I can tell you I noticed a big difference when I started training my thief on UOG as compared to now, where I have 110 dex. It only makes sense... the faster...the better. =P

I'm pretty sure. No wait, I'm sure. This has beent he main rule since the stealing skill. You could always compare if you wanted to though.

wow just a little suggestion to everyone, dont post your secrets on the fourms. That bag trick doesnt work anymore.

ok this is how i gm'ed stealth

it took 2 nights while i slept, i here somepeople seem to think its hard, but its not really

first i got GM hiding

then equiped with my newbie clothes i made a macro in the UO in-game macro area, not with razor

it read like this:

first line use skill hiding
second line use skill stealth

ok now stick something heavy on whatever key you set it too

basically what happens is this

when you first hold the key down you will hide and for the first few cycles it will jst use the hiding skill, but every now and then it will switch and begin using the stealth skill for a few cycles and then switch back

just leave it running and go to bed

when you wake up you should be at 80.0 skill, well thats what i was, then i went to the armourer and i bought a full set of leather armour and i did the same thing the next night with the armour equiped, i woke up and i was GM

i went from 0 too 100.00 in my sleep
too easy

ducymickks

Rhea

Wanderer

With razor this stealth-train-macro worked very well for me:

use skill hiding
wait 11 sec
use skill stealth
wait 11 sec

*loop*

Hiding was GM, stealth around 30 (bought from npc)... perfect delay even with lags from time to time and if you fail, you can be sure to be well hidden before trying to use stealth again :)