UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Your Reputation on Hybrid

Your Reputation on Hybrid

I just wanted to make a thread outlining the current state of what it seems everyone's concern is about here on hybrid. People have stopped caring about the most important thing--having fun playing UO--and they have shifted their focus to building a "reputation" here on UOG. Everybody wants to be a legend. Most people who pursue this do it by either: getting extremely rich and flaunting their wealth or by trash talking after supposedly "owning" somebody during a fight. What confuses me about this so much is the fact that it shouldn't matter whatsoever who is who, and who is a "no namer," because I see this name being thrown around quite a bit. Is being good at a video game really that praiseworthy?

If you think about it for a moment, it really is quite sad that people are so infatuated with their "gamer-self." I really have no idea if this reflects on their true personality as I have not met a single person that plays here on hybrid in real life. I am hoping that it does not.

Just the other day, after dueling someone and getting beaten and admittingly telling him he is good and much better than me I get this reply: "I know that. Don't you know who I am? I'm (name undisclosed). You haven't heard of me? Hey (name undisclosed) [speaking to one of his friends in ventrilo as he had to leave], show him my castle and all of the rares I have in it." He was almost offended when I told him "I've never heard of you before," but calmed down when I explained to him that I really don't get involved in the UOG social scene and could really care less about who he is or what he's done in this game.

Bottomline: is pressing buttons and clicking a mouse really worth this much appraise? Should people really be concerned about being "known" more than, what it seems, playing the game itself? I have found this to be worse as I am factioning more and more. There are some very elitest people self-obsessed with maintaining not a respectable reputation--a fearful one, and I think this is ridiculous.

Re: Your Reputation on Hybrid

before this thread kicks off i'd just like to remind everyone that my dick is bigger than all of yours

carry on

Fez_

Knight

I agree, so many people treat this shard as a popularity contest more than a game (as gay as that sounds) which makes them so, so arrogant when in actual fact you can tell what they are accually like behind the computer. Its sad.

HYBRIDBob

Wanderer

But real gangsta-ass niggas don't flex nuts
Cuz real gangsta-ass niggas know they got em

HYBRIDBob

Wanderer

a beer elemental;1507976 said:
See what I mean?

You are extremely dumb if you consider what I said serious. When you are good at something you invest much time in, should a feeling of pride be frowned upon? Honestly.

Fez_

Knight

Bob;1507983 said:
You are extremely dumb if you consider what I said serious. When you are good at something you invest much time in, should a feeling of pride be frowned upon? Honestly.

Well when a "feeling of pride" is going way over the top and acting like your God of UO then yes.

I mean this generally not directly to yourself.

uonoobs

Knight

a beer elemental;1507984 said:
Well when a "feeling of pride" is going way over the top and acting like your God of UO then yes.

Bow before me, mortal

Bob;1507983 said:

Let's have an honest discussion here. My point is this: it's a video game. Something that when played is utterly useless to yourself and not to mention others around you; it has no utility. True feeling of pride comes from accomplishment, not entertainment.

uonoobs

Knight

Doctor Jones;1507986 said:
Let's have an honest discussion here. My point is this: it's a video game. Something that when played is utterly useless to yourself and not to mention others around you; it has no utility. True feeling of pride comes from accomplishment, not entertainment.

Uo is more than entertainment, its a way of life :(

Snax

Wanderer

a beer elemental;1507976 said:
See what I mean?

Its a fucking lyric from a song that is basically saying:

If you are good you know you are good and you dont have to spam OWNED and brag about it and have people recognize you for it

you know.... like what the OP was originally saying

READ -> COMPREHEND -> POST

uonoobs

Knight

btw, its fun to see people actually still rage over

"OMG LOL YOU GOT OWNED YOU SUCK"

HYBRIDBob

Wanderer

a beer elemental;1507984 said:

I mean this generally not directly to yourself.
Typically the over the top attitude is an attempt to enrage whom ever one can. Lighten up.

Fez_

Knight

Just re-read the lyrics, I misinterpreted what they meant, sorry :S

HYBRIDBob

Wanderer

Doctor Jones;1507986 said:

Have you ever built anything? Crafted a desk, or shelves ect? Creating an empire in a massive online video game can bring just as much pride. Don't take offense to it. Like you said, its a game.

Bob;1507992 said:
Typically the over the top attitude is an attempt to enrage whom ever one can. Lighten up.

I beg to differ. The "over the top" attitude is not manipulative behavior. Face it: people typically aren't that smart and there is no greater reason for why it is being done. It may be provocative, but usually it is meant to boost one's own ego. Something is definitely wrong with this, I believe.

Snax

Wanderer

Bob;1507992 said:

For me there is nothing more amusing than knowing that a middle aged guy half a world away is raging because I keep popping his pouches and saying OWNED...

Yes, I am immature.... but just like the bully in highschool if you didn't let it bother you I'd get bored and stop and find someone elses block tower to kick over.