UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

will we make it to 2012?

Dollpartz

Squire
Re: will we make it to 2012?

dead-eye;710889 said:
We have to stop focusing on us as a nation and more as us a humanity. We can go extinct as easily as everything before us. If people looked at the world as the planet it is, we would be better off.

Never happen. See: Greed& Hierarchy. The problem with that is nations have progressed so far and others have fallen and burnt, it almost feels like de-evolution to help out others. And after all is said people are left feeling helpless. My lecturer made our class watch a youtube video about this subject, he described it as the "oh dear" syndrome, the video was pretty funny.. I could probably wade through youtube and find it if anyone is interested

a-e-i-Own-you said:
The pot calls the kettle black

Seer;710974 said:
lol. why instead of raging dont you try to give valid arguments for this incredibly wrong statement?
moral differs from etic in many aspects and thats is not questionable.

lol

btw, for an argument to be valid it simply needs premises supporting a conclusion.

All pigs are winged animals, and all winged animals can speak Portugese, therefore all pigs can speak Portugese.

Valid argument? Yes. Sound argument? No.

Seriously, if you don't even know the subject don't try and tutor me by using fallacies.

GodZila

Sorceror

Dollpartz;711199 said:
Pretty sure in London they charge you for a plastic bag, they started doing it in New Zealand too.

Plastic bags are only a small part of the problem, what I find ridiculous is packaging one item in several clingfilm, it seems so unnecessary. Not only is it not being a green kiwi, but they charge you for the extra packaging (DICKS). If food is in a airtight package and is stored in the appropriate place in the supermarket then there shouldn't be a problem, surely?
just like a big box to show you a picture of a pizza that is packed in a bag
just so you dont realize its the same fking pizza they sell for cheap (cauz it look like shit) *smart*
hmm pizza...

Dollpartz

Squire

Well yeah there's that, you order a big mac and you get a tiny burger in a big box..

Oh yeah, and here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8moePxHpvok

kind of offtopic but humorous regardless
It's his view point, view point, it's one mans view point.... it's not a big bunch of facts carved into a concrete block by a fucking fact computer, alright? It's one mans view point,,...
LOL

Dollpartz

Squire

A foreigner giving advice on literacy while completely butchering the English language in his own misinformed posts, classic lol

Seer

Wanderer

Dollpartz;711256 said:
A foreigner giving advice on literacy while completely butchering the English language in his own misinformed posts, classic lol

you dont need to know how to speak english to know the difference between moral and ethics. You are such as patethic as him and should also read more books instead of trash talking in this forum.

Seer;711271 said:
you dont need to know how to speak english to know the difference between moral and ethics. You are such as patethic as him and should also read more books instead of trash talking in this forum.

You're the one that started with all the ad hominem, buddy... on top of that, you waltz into every thread flaming someone with some idiotic comment

Seer

Wanderer

a-e-i-Own-you;711314 said:
You're the one that started with all the ad hominem, buddy... on top of that, you waltz into every thread flaming someone with some idiotic comment

i didnt flame anything, i just stated that you were completely wron about thinking that moral and ethics were the same. After that, you were the one who came with ridiculous arguments like "the pot calling the kettle back", when you should just admit you were wrong and shut up.
By the way, i hope the link i posted has helped you to figure it out.

Now back to topic:
Heres a different and funny opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYB0VW5x8fI&feature=related

EvilChild

Knight

Let me just sort this out right now.

Morality can be defined as a code of conduct with can further be a personal or cultural. This code of conduct is used to distinguish between what is right or wrong, or good or bad.

Ethics is simply a branch of philosophy which focuses itself around morality. It seeks to answer questions on right and wrong, good and bad, and justice and virtue.

So they are about as different as astronomy and celestial objects. In so far as astronomy is the study of celestial objects and ethics is the study of morality.

So ethics and morality can be inferred to being semantically equal in so far that because morality is a thing which you can possess, any discussion revolving around morality can fall under the domain of ethics. In the same way, any discussion revolving around celestial bodies falls under the domains of astronomy. So by discussing ethics you are indirectly relating morality, whilst discussing morality you are having an ethics discussion.

Seer

Wanderer

EvilChild;711422 said:
Let me just sort this out right now.

Morality can be defined as a code of conduct with can further be a personal or cultural. This code of conduct is used to distinguish between what is right or wrong, or good or bad.

Ethics is simply a branch of philosophy which focuses itself around morality. It seeks to answer questions on right and wrong, good and bad, and justice and virtue.

So they are about as different as astronomy and celestial objects. In so far as astronomy is the study of celestial objects and ethics is the study of morality.

So ethics and morality can be inferred to being semantically equal in so far that because morality is a thing which you can possess, any discussion revolving around morality can fall under the domain of ethics. In the same way, any discussion revolving around celestial bodies falls under the domains of astronomy. So by discussing ethics you are indirectly relating morality, whilst discussing morality you are having an ethics discussion.

You may have skipped my post with this link: http://www.endusmilitarism.org/ethicsandmorality.html

if you didnt, plz read it again.
if you are too lazy to do that, heres something that might help you:
Ethics is the rules for deciding proper conduct. While not absolutely timeless, ethical principles change very little though the ages. Morality is the standards for behavior that exist at some point in time. Compared to ethics, morality undergoes changes frequently. Compared with ethics, morality is more like a snapshot taken of something moving. Since the principles of ethics are more fundamental and stable, ethics is bigger than morality. Ethics is able to call morality - the existing standards for conduct - into question, and cause morality to change. As an example, consider slavery. Once it was considered moral to own slaves. Over time, ethics called the morality of slavery into question and the eventual result was that slavery was no longer considered moral.

EvilChild

Knight

Seer;711426 said:
You may have skipped my post with this link: http://www.endusmilitarism.org/ethicsandmorality.html

if you didnt, plz read it again.
if you are too lazy to do that, heres something that might help you:
Ethics is the rules for deciding proper conduct. While not absolutely timeless, ethical principles change very little though the ages. Morality is the standards for behavior that exist at some point in time. Compared to ethics, morality undergoes changes frequently. Compared with ethics, morality is more like a snapshot taken of something moving. Since the principles of ethics are more fundamental and stable, ethics is bigger than morality. Ethics is able to call morality - the existing standards for conduct - into question, and cause morality to change. As an example, consider slavery. Once it was considered moral to own slaves. Over time, ethics called the morality of slavery into question and the eventual result was that slavery was no longer considered moral.

You are basing your entire post and logic on what one person posted in a personal webpage? Seriously? Really?

Let me break your example down. You are claiming that because ethics and morality have a different timeline involved with each that they cannot be similar (semantically equal is not considered absolutely equal, it only means that they are equivilant for most intents and purposes but only that the specific language involved in each makes them slightly different).

So, a change occurs in the morality of a person or culture in what that person or culture defines as good or bad, right/wrong etc. Because ethics is the study of that morality, ethical philosophers can condone or rebuke what this culture or person does based on any number of factors. There are specific sets of ethics which attempt to categorize what is moral for specific populations (such as military ethics). However, these specific sets are not ethics as a whole, but only rather a specific set of morality principles that have been grouped for specific purposes. Ethics in its base form will change precisely when morality changes because it is the study of that morality. So once morality changes the subject matter for ethics changes and thus ethics changes due to a change in subject matter. So whether philosophers approve or disapprove of a behavior and whether that behavior is accepted by the public can lead to a change in morality and the specific set of ethics. So for example a discussion on the morality of executing prisoners of war might lead to a ban on the process. The code of military ethics might change as well as a the general morality of the military. From the stand point of ethics however - 1. morality changed in the military 2. the discussion of ethics changed around this morality change 3. a decision was made in regards to this morality 4. morality changed again 5. the discussion in ethics changed to revolve around this new change in morality (was it a good idea? etc)

So again, morality and ethics are semantically equivilant in that as far as discussion is concerned one cannot discuss one without involving the other. One cannot study morality without engaging in ethics and one cannot talk about ethics without engaging morality.

Seer

Wanderer

EvilChild;711433 said:
You are basing your entire post and logic on what one person posted in a personal webpage? Seriously? Really?

Let me break your example down. You are claiming that because ethics and morality have a different timeline involved with each that they cannot be similar (semantically equal is not considered absolutely equal, it only means that they are equivilant for most intents and purposes but only that the specific language involved in each makes them slightly different).

So, a change occurs in the morality of a person or culture in what that person or culture defines as good or bad, right/wrong etc. Because ethics is the study of that morality, ethical philosophers can condone or rebuke what this culture or person does based on any number of factors. There are specific sets of ethics which attempt to categorize what is moral for specific populations (such as military ethics). However, these specific sets are not ethics as a whole, but only rather a specific set of morality principles that have been grouped for specific purposes. Ethics in its base form will change precisely when morality changes because it is the study of that morality. So once morality changes the subject matter for ethics changes and thus ethics changes due to a change in subject matter. So whether philosophers approve or disapprove of a behavior and whether that behavior is accepted by the public can lead to a change in morality and the specific set of ethics. So for example a discussion on the morality of executing prisoners of war might lead to a ban on the process. The code of military ethics might change as well as a the general morality of the military. From the stand point of ethics however - 1. morality changed in the military 2. the discussion of ethics changed around this morality change 3. a decision was made in regards to this morality 4. morality changed again 5. the discussion in ethics changed to revolve around this new change in morality (was it a good idea? etc)

So again, morality and ethics are semantically equivilant in that as far as discussion is concerned one cannot discuss one without involving the other. One cannot study morality without engaging in ethics and one cannot talk about ethics without engaging morality.

I get you point.... anyway i can point you out many different references for the difference between moral and ethic. Not only one website.

Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied. In other words, ethics point to standards or codes of behavior expected by the group to which the individual belongs. This could be national ethics, social ethics, company ethics, professional ethics, or even family ethics. So while a person’s moral code is usually unchanging, the ethics he or she practices can be other dependent".

To illustrate this, when considering the difference between ethics and morals, it may be helpful to consider a criminal defense lawyer.

Though the lawyer’s personal moral code likely finds murder immoral and reprehensible, ethics demand the accused client be defended as vigorously as possible, even when the lawyer knows the party is guilty, even at the expense of setting him free possibly to murder again.

After that, you can say that they are very close to each other but not equal.

EvilChild

Knight

Seer;711439 said:
I get you point.... anyway i can point you out many different references for the difference between moral and ethic. Not only one website.

Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied. In other words, ethics point to standards or codes of behavior expected by the group to which the individual belongs. This could be national ethics, social ethics, company ethics, professional ethics, or even family ethics. So while a person’s moral code is usually unchanging, the ethics he or she practices can be other dependent".

To illustrate this, when considering the difference between ethics and morals, it may be helpful to consider a criminal defense lawyer.

Though the lawyer’s personal moral code likely finds murder immoral and reprehensible, ethics demand the accused client be defended as vigorously as possible, even when the lawyer knows the party is guilty, even at the expense of setting him free possibly to murder again.

After that, you can say that they are very close to each other but not equal.

You are still confusing a code of ethics with ethics. There is quite a large difference between a code of ethics and ethics as defined as the study of morality. What you have been saying is true for a code of ethics but not for ethics itself.

Although in retrospect, I think if you aren't familiar with English, ethics gets used occasionally to imply a code of ethics. So I could see that being an issue.

Seer

Wanderer

EvilChild;711443 said:
You are still confusing a code of ethics with ethics. There is quite a large difference between a code of ethics and ethics as defined as the study of morality. What you have been saying is true for a code of ethics but not for ethics itself.

Although in retrospect, I think if you aren't familiar with English, ethics gets used occasionally to imply a code of ethics. So I could see that being an issue.

I dont get it.... what would be the difference between ethics and code of ethics?

EvilChild

Knight

Seer;711447 said:
I dont get it.... what would be the difference between ethics and code of ethics?

ethics is the study of morality

as in the study of what is right/wrong, good/bad etc

a code of ethics is what can be considered the output from ethics and is a specific code of morality relating to a group of people. So military philosophers used ethics to study the morality of the military and based off of this they created a code of ethics that revolve around military morality.

Khephren

Knight

You guys really complicate stuff too much... LOL

To me, everything is just bullshit, the only thing that is right is what's in my head... when I die, everything that is will not matter anymore.

Seer

Wanderer

EvilChild;711459 said:
ethics is the study of morality

as in the study of what is right/wrong, good/bad etc

a code of ethics is what can be considered the output from ethics and is a specific code of morality relating to a group of people. So military philosophers used ethics to study the morality of the military and based off of this they created a code of ethics that revolve around military morality.

Im gonna look for some info about that and then come back.

Seer

Wanderer

Khephren;711529 said:
You guys really complicate stuff too much... LOL

To me, everything is just bullshit, the only thing that is right is what's in my head... when I die, everything that is will not matter anymore.

The most happy ppl in the world are the ignorant ones. :)

Lucifall

Knight

Seer;711541 said:
The most happy ppl in the world are the ignorant ones. :)

There are times where I wonder if it's worth it to debate this deep when, in the end, we won't be as happy as the ones who don't. Theorically at least. lol..