UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Why does he even bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquifiedArt

Wanderer
Re: Why does he even bother?

RiseMakaveli said:
If this is so unstopable.. How is it that Origin never crashes because of this?

I'm sure there's people pissed off at them.. I mean, there is ALWAYS someone pissed off at the big company...

Because if you bring down a Major companies system, they will definetly follow it up and find whoever did it. And you will most definetly be found guilty :p.. Its like cuba trying to take over the U.S.

Zippy

Razor Creator

First, ANiceUoPlayer, way to take shit fucking personally. There are other people on the forums and thusly everything I say (except for this) isn't directed at you. Chill the fuck out.

Now as I explained before, its really pretty impossible to tell who is doing this, so no we cannot talk to the ISP. As I said before, our hosting is provided by a very large provider (ev1) and they own all of the hardware involved here, so its not like we can say "Hey ev1 we know more about this shit than you do (because we don't) and we want to see the router logs so we can sue the bitches!"

As a matter of fact, we can't sue them. The worst we could do is send nasty letters to their ISP. Why not? No it's not because this server is illegal (because it's not, everything we do is on the up and up or someone would have sued US by now). It's because we didn't loose any money. Yes. That's right, the world is run by money. The legal entities don't care unless we lost money, and we didn't. Our ISP can (and does) deal with attackers via legal means, because often these attacks cost them and their other customers money.

Why can't we just isntall some leet software or hardware to stop them? As I said before, and obviously some people refuse to read the topic of the thread they are posting in, we cannot just fix this with hardware. We already have plenty of nice hardware, we pay the ISP in real money and they supply us real, good service. But this isn't a hardware issue. The server isn't down, the routers aren't down. We have been "null routed" and obviously people don't know what that is.

"Null routed" means that the providers of our bandwidth (Not nessessarily ev1 in this case, but Teir 1s like verio, above.net, etc) have deliberately redirected our IP address to "nowhere" in order to stop the attack traffic (You can't attack the IP if you can't route to it) in order to keep it from affecting their other customers. Why don't we complain? Because their other customers are regular people who pay for the service and use it to provide food for their families and shit. This isn't a game... we're talking about people's livelyhoods here. They have been doing this lately because the attacks have been so large (We're talking more than 1 GB/s) that the hardware cannot handle them. If you remember a few weeks ago when the entire runuo network was down and null routed, the attack actually took out the entire ev1 datacenter. This is beyond our little server, or even our little rack of servers.

So pretty much all we do is sit here and wait. Maybe Ryan would be on, talking to the ev1 guys or something... But guess what? It's a fucking Holiday and he's got other shit to do. Speaking of which, I should go do other shit too.

mdwright

Wanderer

DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service (attack)

Distributed means basically, someone has infected a large number (thousands) of machines with a virus/trojan. The owners are unaware, and the original attacker can send messages to all of his bots, telling them "attack uogamers" or whatever.

Just to add a little here, it's also easy to use a University server farm to do the exact same thing. (Which, in the early days of the internet, was the only way to launch a DoS attack).

In this case, if you're able to trace the dummy packets to similar IP adresses, I am sure it would lead to a University or Tech school somewhere.

It's just sad some person (or group of people) have nothing better to do than shoot off their e-rection at our (your) server.

LiquifiedArt

Wanderer

Zippy said:
First, ANiceUoPlayer, way to take shit fucking personally. There are other people on the forums and thusly everything I say (except for this) isn't directed at you. Chill the fuck out.

Bro, what are u talking about?? Taking what personnally? I never said anything aggressive??? I made a comment about large corporations. whats your prob man?? Please Stop addressing me for no reason. thanx man Uogamers.com - Has my support :)

mdwright

Wanderer

ANiceUoPlayer said:
Bro, what are u talking about?? Taking what personnally? I never said anything aggressive??? I made a comment about large corporations. whats your prob man?? Please Stop addressing me for no reason. thanx man Uogamers.com - Has my support :)

The man's just had his work shit on. For the second time this week. Now he has to explain to every single person why it's not an easy job to clean it up. To the UOGamers team, this isn't just the server they play on.

Gremio

Sorceror

I understand DDoS attacks can't be stopped...and it's not like you actually receive the IP of the culprit. But I decided to go ahead and do some research.

The following are some interesting reads/sites I found:

An article explaining some of the DDoS inerworkings and some defense practices (again nothing I know of can completely prevent a DDoS)
http://www.esecurityplanet.com/best_practices/article.php/3297581

A site that was linked to in the above article that posts a lot of DDoS updates.
http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/

This site claims to actually prevent DDoS attacks with it's non-hardware solution. Might be worth looking into. I'd be willing to donate towards something like this if it actually helped at all.
http://www.dyadsecurity.com/s_cleanpipe.html

Just trying to help with ammunition if Ryan does actually talk to Ev1.

--Gremio

mdwright

Wanderer

Gremio said:
An article explaining some of the DDoS inerworkings and some defense practices (again nothing I know of can completely prevent a DDoS) (...link)

Good article.

LiquifiedArt

Wanderer

mdwright said:
Good article.
Agreed! I hope Ryan gets this badboy cleared up by tonight. :( i was gonna have a couple friends over to do an all-nighter, this could ruin those plans.

RYAN IM" BEHIND U AS WE ALL ARE 110%.

alhem

Wanderer

fucking hackers. that is a darn crime. anyone investigating these matters?
as long as its affecting a lot of other sites too. darn darn darn. bet its uodreams. they are competing with us on topshards.com and they have alot of ingame requests to vore for the shard...

anyways - cheers!

Deavanor

Wanderer

First of all you guys who are being ****heads about this need to stop whining and get a life. (I dont mean those who are offering help like I am, but those who are telling them "If this were my shard" etc...etc...)Preferabky one that will teach you some appreciation for this shard and respect for those who run it. Im sure our GM's are doing all that they can to fix the issue, and do not need unknowledgable critics screaming at them. Now, on to buisness. Im not sure exactly what DdoSes are, but from what I have been told it is something like overpinging a server to the point of crashing it. Im not entirely sure of the methods used to do so, whether if it is in creation of characters that overload the server or some other in game hack/backdoor, but I would like to suggest online registration for characters to prevent the potential threat of users exploiting the ability to create multiple accounts in order to harm the server with an overload. My secondary offer would be to set up a system that will boot those who Force excessive draw on the server. While both of these things may draw other issues such as people being booted due to psyched out computer problems, there coulld be a new support team created for such issues(Which I would be glad to join as I am generally skilled with computers, and have computer technicians for parents) I would also be willing to devote time to the checking of online registration at said online registration site in order to ensure a speedy and productive way of becoming part of the game, while avoiding user attacks. (on the site it would be necessary to have a macro failsafe such as those password id numbers that intentionally skew and distort the numers to decrease the liklihood of computer character recognition software of completeing correct analysis and overpinging the registration site) I hope my suggestions are helpful, and would like to become actively involved in promoting, and supporting the UO:hybrid shard. Thank you for reading my long winded post.

Sincerely,
The Twilight Phantom

Lynyrd

Knight

In between attacks, I am getting one skill GMed on my new character. So, I think between the next four attacks, I will get the character 7x. Then, sometime in the next few years, I may get to use him.

mdwright

Wanderer

Deavanor said:
Im not sure exactly what DdoSes are, but from what I have been told it is something like overpinging a server to the point of crashing it. Im not entirely sure of the methods used to do so, whether if it is in creation of characters that overload the server or some other in game hack/backdoor, but I would like to suggest online registration for characters to prevent the potential threat of users exploiting the ability to create multiple accounts in order to harm the server with an overload. My secondary offer would be to set up a system that will boot those who Force excessive draw on the server.

I suggest reading the article posted just a few post back for some general info on DoS attacks.

tapio

Wanderer

So I have just started using UOgateway in the last couple weeks, what does it mean when Hybrid is no longer on their lists at all?

tapio

Wanderer

OK good, i would hate to think that my new addiction might be offline permanently.

mrwolfe

Sorceror

darthjesus said:
i heavily suggest everyone seriously contemplate allowing the love of Jesus Christ into their hearts
are you fucking kidding?? this is uo dont preach to me

Status
Not open for further replies.