UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How many of you are religious!

Pick one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaN3rd

Wanderer
Re: How many of you are religious!

cloroxman;1418989 said:
Whether or not we agree with other beliefs shouldn't matter; it is how we manage to get along with each other despite the differences.

Personally, I would prefer not to get along with morons.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

kio123;1418997 said:
science of... everything
science of god, magic, heaven, law, astrology etc etc no end to the list
I guess I don't understand. Please explain further. You can call it a science, but how is that any different than calling it SuperAwesomeRightness? They're just labels.

AlphaN3rd said:
Personally, I would prefer not to get along with morons.
Respond to my post, please.

OffMyJohnson

Wanderer

Wow... i knew this thread was going to spark interest but damn...

thanks to all who posted and are going to post.

this is great stuff. i love seeing what others have to say about this.

and now i'm going to plays some uo will check back on this later.

kio123

Knight

Cebrious Arcane;1419015 said:
I guess I don't understand. Please explain further. You can call it a science, but how is that any different than calling it SuperAwesomeRightness? They're just labels.

Respond to my post, please.

think like theres no other science branch that studies the death itself. also a general idea of space (the idea of definite calculation of starts and planets and them turning around each other) was told in main religions much before telescope was invented. or the law and ethics ideas. main religions are the only science that explains the core of magic.
and on and on
you might say its same as philosophy but philosophy is just the science of thought not the nature of the thoughts or proofs

cloroxman

Wanderer

Aw, the power of abstraction. Where anything is possible and the impossible is not a possibility.

;)

Is this that Newsweek thread version 2.0? Regardless, awesome read. Perfect for making a slow work day zoom by.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

kio123;1419029 said:
think like theres no other science branch that studies the death itself. also a general idea of space (the idea of definite calculation of starts and planets and them turning around each other) was told in main religions much before telescope was invented. or the law and ethics ideas. main religions are the only science that explains the core of magic.
and on and on
you might say its same as philosophy but philosophy is just the science of thought not the nature of the thoughts or proofs
Thanks, I understand what you're saying perfectly now. Which is basically what I am saying: systems of belief explain reality.

fonis

Knight

Cebrious Arcane;1419038 said:
Thanks, I understand what you're saying perfectly now. Which is basically what I am saying: systems of belief explain reality.

Systems of belief explain reality to the extent of the restrictions of the "values" and systems of morals they impose upon themselves. These values can be anything from "a man has to be in charge," such as Christianity, or that everything must be consistent, such as science.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

fonis;1419107 said:
Systems of belief explain reality to the extent of the restrictions of the "values" and systems of morals they impose upon themselves. These values can be anything from "a man has to be in charge," such as Christianity, or that everything must be consistent, such as science.
Where you say values, I say beliefs. Would not the most consistent version of reality be infinity? Why then does science not support an infinite and timeless reality?

fonis

Knight

It does not support it because it does not claim it to be true, because if it were to claim it to be true, it would require proof / a provable hypothesis. As no one right now can prove infinity, science does not support nor claim against an infinite and timeless reality.

And yes, values/beliefs, whatever. They're what you hold dear and true, and really are nothing more than unprovable beliefs you have an intuition in. Science's self-law of consistency is not necessary, just a restriction it holds upon itself. I happen to agree with it, and so I believe in science.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

fonis said:
It does not support it because it does not claim it to be true, because if it were to claim it to be true, it would require proof / a provable hypothesis. As no one right now can prove infinity, science does not support nor claim against an infinite and timeless reality.
Okay, but how are evidence and proof not personal?

Fonis said:
And yes, values/beliefs, whatever. They're what you hold dear and true, and really are nothing more than unprovable beliefs you have an intuition in. Science's self-law of consistency is not necessary, just a restriction it holds upon itself. I happen to agree with it, and so I believe in science.
Fair enough.

do you remember being born?
have you ever died?
have you ever been conscious as anything other than yourself?
have you ever made an observation free from your own nervous system?

what do you really know?

A Walrus

Wanderer

i have no problem with people and their beliefs unless they take it to the next level, when people start using religion and god as a crutch or for justification of their acts it sickens me. also the idea that i can do whatever i want as long as i repent is fucking rediculous

zlatan fulgere

Sorceror

Cebrious Arcane;1419179 said:
Okay, but how are evidence and proof not personal?

I'm working on that in v1.0

I also thought of "why" for science, seemingly random chance. I wanted to ask here though...

For the religious types, why do we exist as we do rather than in another way or not at all?

fonis

Knight

Evidence and proof, as far as science is concerned, is required to be impersonal. If you state something scientifically, you allow it to be vulnerable to repeated testing by anyone wishing to determine its viability. If it was simply a belief, it would be personal. Since you are making your beliefs to be judged by anyone around you, the evidence and proof, by definition, are impersonal, otherwise they are not evidence or proofs.

Status
Not open for further replies.