UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

A Comprehensive Guide to Skills and Skill Gain

Rexrexrex

Wanderer
Re: A Comprehensive Guide to Skills and Skill Gain

A couple more skills I did recently...

Lockpicking

Only use for it here is a treasure hunter character because there are no dungeon chests.

Assuming you start at 50, this is what you need to do to GM.

Make at least one wooden box with a character that has 50 tinkering. I made 4 boxes. You can make a new character with 50 tinkering/carpentry and make 4 with 40 boards/logs. Acquire a keyring (tinkers can make these and NPC tinkers *may* sell them -- not sure) and take the key out of each box and put it on this keyring.

Put the boxes and the keyring in a bag, along with 50 lockpicks. If you have a tinker you probably made 1-2k lockpicks on your way up. If not have a friend with tinkering make you some, they're only 1 ingot a piece.

Now setup a macro:

For each box in the bag, you'll want the macro to perform

Use Item Type (Lockpick)
Target (a specific wooden box)
Use Item (the keyring in the bag)
Target (the same wooden box you just picked)

And repeat for however many boxes you have in the bag. Sometimes it will unlock a locked box when your lockpick attempt fails but that's fine because it loops will eventually relock it to be picked next round.

From 50 skill, 50 tinker boxes will take you to exactly 76.0 displayed skill.

From here, you'll want to have a GM tinker make you some wooden boxes. 4 is fine, just like above set them up with a keyring, bag, lockpicks and macro. GM tinkered boxes will take you to exactly 95.0 displayed skill.

Now at 95.0, you have two choices: Pick level 3 & 4 treasure chests for gains (slooooow) or join factions and gain very quickly during statloss. I would suggest joining factions and them immediately starting the quit process.

Get faction stat/skill loss (opposing faction member killing you or killing yourself) get gated to a shrine by another character, res there and during skill/statloss use the 50 tinker boxes and macro to gain. I recommend doing this in a house obviously. It took me 4 faction statloss periods to go from 95.0 to GM as the 6th skill. Done this way it should take you no more than an hour's time working the skill to GM from 50.

Cartography

Another treasure hunter skill. If you're going to make a treasure hunter with resist, I recommend starting with 50 resist and lockpicking. Carto is very easy to gain so don't worry about it.

You'll need:

About 15-20k gold if you do it as one of your first 3 skills up to 99.5.

Buy it 0-30 or so from an NPC mapmaker.

Buy a bunch of mapmaking pens from mapmaker NPCs. You'll probably use between 50 and 80 of them to get to 99.5.

Buy scrolls from mage NPCs, 4 gold each in -30% faction tax towns. You'll need likely between 2200 and 3000.

Start off making local maps. Do this up until about 45, then make city maps until around 60. From 60, make world maps all the way to 99.5. You'll get overloaded with items so just make a macro to drag by type (map) and drop at your feet (relative location) and loop it when you're full and need to restock on scrolls and/or pens.

Once you get to 99.5 you can decode level 3-4 maps for the last 0.5, or just like lockpicking, join factions. It took me one statloss period to gain the last 0.5 making world maps. Very easy skill to GM.

B

b0ke

Umm...i started creating a new character (scribe-mage), went to npc to buy the skill up but it only lets me buy it up to 29..so what's up with this guide? is there a way to BUY it up to 40?

Rexrexrex

Wanderer

NPCs train from 0 to a random skill level usually between 22 and 40. Just take whatever you can get and work with a lower skill item to start, then the guide should be accurate as soon you get to like 40.

Lintaglen

Wanderer

just like to add something about gaining archery. It's actually best to use it on animals. Monsters do not allow the arrows to "drop" by their feet as often. So you tend to save a lot of arrows shooting animals and having scavenger pick up any spare arrows that drop.

Ceorn

Wanderer

Your smithing guide for this is pretty good. I've been following what you've said, and it's saving me a lot of ignots. Nice job.

kdivers

Knight

The very best way to gain gain smithy is:
Buy up to 30
make items wiht 60% chance to make until about 40 - 45
make shortspears until 94.9
make gorgets until 100.0

although this is much like the standard, these have my interpretive differences

making items iwht a 60% success chance is the best way to gain. this may cost a few more ingots, but its much faster that way

once smithy hits 94.9, gains from shortspears are almost nonexistant. i let my macro go for about 20 mins after i hit 94.9 and succeeded in nothing but losing abotu 1k ingots..

total ingot cost (form 50 smithy) 10,000 - 11,000

Veritas WKD

Sorceror

My questing from here is what do I make to get from GM to legendary?

btw +1 to you kdivers.

wkstrm

Lord

Rexrexrex;1553645 said:
A couple more skills I did recently...

Lockpicking

Only use for it here is a treasure hunter character because there are no dungeon chests.

Assuming you start at 50, this is what you need to do to GM.

Make at least one wooden box with a character that has 50 tinkering. I made 4 boxes. You can make a new character with 50 tinkering/carpentry and make 4 with 40 boards/logs. Acquire a keyring (tinkers can make these and NPC tinkers *may* sell them -- not sure) and take the key out of each box and put it on this keyring.

Put the boxes and the keyring in a bag, along with 50 lockpicks. If you have a tinker you probably made 1-2k lockpicks on your way up. If not have a friend with tinkering make you some, they're only 1 ingot a piece.

Now setup a macro:

For each box in the bag, you'll want the macro to perform

Use Item Type (Lockpick)
Target (a specific wooden box)
Use Item (the keyring in the bag)
Target (the same wooden box you just picked)

And repeat for however many boxes you have in the bag. Sometimes it will unlock a locked box when your lockpick attempt fails but that's fine because it loops will eventually relock it to be picked next round.

From 50 skill, 50 tinker boxes will take you to exactly 76.0 displayed skill.

From here, you'll want to have a GM tinker make you some wooden boxes. 4 is fine, just like above set them up with a keyring, bag, lockpicks and macro. GM tinkered boxes will take you to exactly 95.0 displayed skill.

Now at 95.0, you have two choices: Pick level 3 & 4 treasure chests for gains (slooooow) or join factions and gain very quickly during statloss. I would suggest joining factions and them immediately starting the quit process.

Get faction stat/skill loss (opposing faction member killing you or killing yourself) get gated to a shrine by another character, res there and during skill/statloss use the 50 tinker boxes and macro to gain. I recommend doing this in a house obviously. It took me 4 faction statloss periods to go from 95.0 to GM as the 6th skill. Done this way it should take you no more than an hour's time working the skill to GM from 50.

your macro is nice but there is a more effective way to make it. the macro will save some time.

use one box, put it on your backpack. put the key in the backpack as well.
now record a macro where you double click the lockpicks, target the box. then doubleclick the key and target the box.

now it's time to edit the macro.
should look like this:

use item type (lockpick)
wait for target
absolute target (box)
paus 500
If sysmessage: you pick the lock
dbl click key (or is it use item?, I don't remember and I'm at work so I can't check)
wait for target
absoulte target
end if

then check the loop checkbox and press play.

this way you will only lock the box if you actually picked the lock.

kdivers

Knight

Veritas WKD;1582331 said:
My questing from here is what do I make to get from GM to legendary?

btw +1 to you kdivers.

i made gorgets and arms until 110, legs until about 115, and tunics until 120.

i tried to save ingots, most of all. if you jsut wanna whip rihgt through and ingots are ntohing, makes arms until 105, legs until 110, and tunics til 120... or jsut do tunics form 100 - 120 if you are that desperate

also, of rhte lock picking, try this one. it will require you to have a restock agent set up for lock picks

use item type lockpick
wait for target
absolute target (box)
pause .5seconds
If sysmessage: you pick the lock
dbl click key (or is it use item?, I don't remember and I'm at work so I can't check)
wait for target
absoulte target
end if
if wieght <or= (your wiehgt hwen you have 50 lockpicks)
restock agent here
end if

outspoken

Wanderer

in smithy if you are going to 120, instead of going arms to 116.2 do it to 116.0, the .2 you'll waste 1k ingots on if you stick with arms. use legs at 116.0, otherwise great stuff!

Stub

Wanderer

thank you so much, and although i know you made this about 2 years ago, it's helped me :)

GreatSquid

Sorceror

I have used this guide for most of the skills I was unsure about on this server. Thanks a ton.