UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Standard 7x

Do you agree with the proposed change?

• Yes

Votes: 203 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 33.6%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 58 14.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

Melee hits are 50-50, and melee damage varies greatly, it's simply a trade-off. If a scribe only gets disrupted 25% of the time and a melee fighter only hits 50% of the time, it doesn't take a scientist to see that only 1 in 10 swings will disrupt. Even with extremely high dexterity and a fast weapon, thats a good 15 seconds on average to land a disrupt, provided the mage is even casting when the would-be-disruption hits. Considering the casting times, that's a hell of a lot of free spells a mage can cast just standing still, even when considering the few greater heals required.

Defensive inscription based spells are invaluable in the field, but they simply have no place in duels.

Jenova-gl

Sorceror
You don't see people use protection outside of the pits because GM inscribe reflect is so ridiculous on uogamers.

Heal/anat and scribe/anat mages are the two most common pvp templates on uogamers (and in UO:R osi as well) I just don't see why you wouldn't let scribes use their skill when the template is so popular, and you are kidding yourself if you think GM scribes play a skill down in mage vrs mage fights.

Jenova-gl

Sorceror
GM scribes aren't unbalanced in duels. Axes can kill in 2 hits and take half your mana, spears can kill in three and paralyze you. If you are a pure dexer dueling in this day and age you should probably just quit pvp, every pvp character should have magery. No one duels doing nothing but hitting someone with a weapon. There's nothing overpowering about protection against a dexer. Especially considering someone with swords can hit you with a concussion blow right off the bat and make a mage useless for the next 5 minutes until you finally get enough mana to dump.

terathan33

Wanderer
Well I'm for the change reguardless of weather protection is kept in or not. I would like to see it left in but the a change to the current formula, seems that even if it is left in right now it would benefit mages with out scribe too much giving them a clear avantage of dexers.

Jenova-gl

Sorceror
That's why I said allow protection and ra for scribes only, not sure if thats possible with the current dueling system, but hopefully it is.

M

Mark

The whole idea isn't to make scribes play a skill down, it's to make all mages play a spell down. By removing magic weapons (which are extremely easy to obtain) and magic armors (which aren't) from duels, we remove a key advantage of the melee fighter. With the playing field leveled (equipment wise), less damage will be done (no more 2-3 hit kills when fighting a mage with full leather), and in turn, fewer greater heals will be cast. At this level, a melee fighter cannot simply 'click and chase' his way to victory; among the many new tactics required, he must time his hits for disruptions.

Duels are simply about tactics and skill, and I just don't see protection helping to add to that.

I voted yes... of course magic weapons should be removed.. I do 7x with a GM short spear and hit for half hp..
As far as reactive armor and protect... meh I'd rather it be left the way it is but I really wouldnt care if it got changed.

kazzz

Wanderer
No.

Wish I had seen this thread to vote. I don't read forums much, except my own guild's.

There's just no way you should take away an advantage that players who take the time to farm and acquire (purchase, trade for). There's a reason there are magical weapons and armour in the game...just like in any other game.

Yeah, I participate in tournaments with invulnerability leather armour and vanq sword weapons. Some guy just yesterday kicked my shit with full invuln PLATEMAIL and a vanq supremely accurate axe...it's all part of the game--I've come to realize.

M

Mark

tehkaz said:
Wish I had seen this thread to vote. I don't read forums much, except my own guild's.

There's just no way you should take away an advantage that players who take the time to farm and acquire (purchase, trade for). There's a reason there are magical weapons and armour in the game...just like in any other game.

Yeah, I participate in tournaments with invulnerability leather armour and vanq sword weapons. Some guy just yesterday kicked my shit with full invuln PLATEMAIL and a vanq supremely accurate axe...it's all part of the game--I've come to realize.

Nothing has changed yet, this is simply something that people have been asking me to do for quite some time. In my opinion, pit fights should never be about equipment and money, that's the whole reason potions are so frowned upon.

Legbone

Wanderer
I support this change rather RA and protection are included or not, getting rid of magic items in duels (and most 7x standard tournies) would level things a lot. If I wanted to farm items so i could pvp better, I would play OSI shards or other AoS shards.

micheal

Sorceror
Mark said:
That's how balance will be maintained. If everyone is equally limited to non magical weapons and armor and the two anti-melee mage spells are prohibited, everyone is on equal footing and the duel becomes more about skill than equipment (as it should).

If anyone wants some numbers for comparison:
Exceptional Halberd Maximum Damage: 62
Exceptional Full Barbed Leather Suit (AR): 20

Perfect Vanquishing Halberd Maximum Damage: 76
Full Invulnerability Leather Suit (AR): 43

Anyone can see that this change benefits melee fighters and mages alike, and turns a duel into a game of skill instead of a game of 'best equipment'.

My Full Invul Leather Gives 48 Use to give 52

MDK=MDGAY

Wanderer
On another point, the problem really isn't with dexers using vanqs, it's hybrids. With the generic bare-bones resist scripts here and the spell damage, mages greatly over-power dexers, it's only fair that a pure dexer get to use a vanq. It gets lame when someone with GM eval and 80 mana just holds one spell cast, waiting for a 60 damage halberd hit. In addition, I propose a minimum dex requirement for combat abilities on weapons such as 70 dex to be able to concussion blow or para blow. These additions to the game were added to balance mage vs. dexer combat. They were not added so that mages can simply swing with an axe untill the fight is gimped by a concussion blow against another mage. Everyone seems to be getting the wrong idea here, including you Mark, I don't like your proposed change, I think a different change should be made. Yours does not offer "balance".

Elendili! said:
Without magic weapons, dexxers are useless, but i wouldnt mind seeing magic armor go. (i was put agaist a mage in full invul and i only did 5dmg to him with my magic axe)

i am a tank mage and i support this poll 100%...... GM weapons are just fine against GM armor it just forces you to be strategic when u fight your opponent and not just hit him once for 60 damage and exp psn ebolt him to death

id also like to say Mark you are doing a great job buddy you fixed MA and everyone except the newbs are happy about it and when you fix this it will be the same way :) thanks alot

Dythmar101

Wanderer
Kool-Aid said:
Now we're getting closer...

and what do you mean dexxers are useless without magic weps??? I haven't done much in game testing but back in the day on OSI GM weps were almost what everyone carried and have killed PLENTY of people.

Hell, now-a-days we got these special hits that give dexers little more of a chance to. I killed a few people yesterday with a storebought warhammer and q staff.

this is wat i do but not storebought i make my own i kill plenty and defend well but still dont like 4v1 ganks at yew liches :(

We really should make this skill based and not item based like AOS thats why everyone quit OSI because that is what it did :( people with GM weapons and GM armor will lose almost everytime at the duel pits against someone with magic armor/magic weps

Its fine how it is.

There is NO skill in double clicking someone in a 10x10 area and following them around hitting bandange self as soon as you take damage.

It also takes mabie 1000 gold to make a dexer and it takes about 30k to make a 7xmage.

I have a hard time killing dexers who play right anyway. They just run away chugging potians and using bandaids. I do that too but at least the dexer doesnt have to stop for 2 seconds to cast a spell and having to try and catch up.

Also dexers can poison their weapons.

As for dexers not being able to cast magic reflect all they need is a scroll and mabie 10 magery, just go 90 hiding 10 magery.

What about adding AoS special moves that take mana while keeping everything else the UO:G way.

Adding the focus skill would help out with dexer mana.

The problem here is that hybrid mages would be overpowered.
Solution is to make focus skill control special moves so hybrid mages dont get shit for special moves and dexers in armor do. I guess a mage could drop anatomy for focus and have even more nuts mana regen, but then they dont have the damage bonus of anatomy so it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.