UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Tamer Balance

How should taming be balanced?

• Remove bonding

Votes: 237 17.0%
  • Reduce pet speed

Votes: 138 9.9%
  • Reduce pet damage

Votes: 182 13.0%
  • Heavier bonded pet skill loss

Votes: 145 10.4%
  • Remove recall with bonded pets

Votes: 193 13.8%
  • Its fine how it is

Votes: 822 58.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yiff

Wanderer
its so much easier to just make etherals instantly remountable. the only thing that would become useless in battles are bolas, and god forbid people would no longer be able to take away someones last line of defense(running) in a 5v1 gank.

Atrox-hybrid

Wanderer
LegendOfChunk said:
Good point... Perhaps if there were a way to change the timer on it to something like the criminal timer or something like that? Maybe like the stealing timer, like how if someone steals from you, you have the right to fight with them til that character dies. Something like that would have to be in place for it to work, but it seems like it would stop faction whoring and all that at least a little bit.
I'm not shooting to make people lose their pets just for using them, but it would make it more of a skill to know when in the middle of a fight you had a chance to feed them. Would keep the tamer on their toes just as an alchemist has to know the timing of his exp throw. Well, not nearly like that, but you get my drift. :-P

a loyalty decay up to a point might be a good idea. cap it so pets can't go below a certain loyalty level by fighting... but make it so they can lose enough loyalty to refuse commands frequently.

That way, tamers wont lose their pets by fighting but if they rely on them too much the crutch is temporarily taken away.

This change makes sense too.... if every 2 minutes your boss told you to go do something mundane (as killing people in uo tends to get sometimes), you'd get pretty fed up with your job. Granted you probably wouldnt quit over it. If, however, you were voulnteering (like pets are. you don't pay them for their services, afterall...) you'd probably tell your boss to go screw himself.

pr0totype

Wanderer
I say remove bonding and make pets faster. If bonding was removed, it will add to the tamer economy, making fully trained pets worth something, just back in uor. But I know that bitches over rule the people on this server in population. Look at all the stun mages/bola tamer pks. Don't be a bitch, vote remove bonding.

Atrox-hybrid

Wanderer
-Balir- said:
Why does anybody even want to pvp with pets? Is it really that enjoyable? Get rid of bonding, keep in recalling with pets as long as they haven't attacked a player recently. A careful dedicated tamer will still be able to farm, and recall away at the sight of pks, But won't be able to charge into pvp without ANY risk atall. I mean, sometimes, if they get lucky, they can kill a player after being newly rezzed.

This, or completely nerf the damage from pets to players and keep in damage to monsters, i don't really care about whos rich or not.

The way it is atm, pets in pvp is plain and simply, DUMB!

I don't think everyone wants to pvp with them. Some people just feel like pets are too powerful not to use. so they fight with them.

Then other people feel that the only way to combat that is to use pets themselves.

I play a tamer and fall into this second catagory. Even though I only run with one pet (the one im riding), i still have the option of using the pet if people want to play dirty.

I've already expressed my dislike of the recalling with pets thing but i guess i will again hehe. It just doesnt make sense that a pet should recall with you. I guess it does if you're riding the pet... because you and the mount are like a single entity... but with dragons or something it just doesnt sit right with me.

Atrox-hybrid

Wanderer
pr0totype said:
I say remove bonding and make pets faster. If bonding was removed, it will add to the tamer economy, making fully trained pets worth something, just back in uor. But I know that bitches over rule the people on this server in population. Look at all the stun mages/bola tamer pks. Don't be a bitch, vote remove bonding.

Just playing devil's advocate because its 4 am and im extremely caffienated and bored, but....

What about the whole permadeath argument? They don't have player permadeath, so why should player's pets have permadeath?

I personally don't have that much play time other than weekends and holidays.. so it takes me around a week to 7x a pet. On the weekend, my net connection is unreliable at best.

I go to farm some cash at, say, the firetemple one day. In the middle of a fight my cable goes out. I log back on 10 minutes later to find the pet i just spent a week 7xing is now completely gone. it sucks...alot.

While I'm in favor of a large bonding nerf (statloss for rez somewhere in the area of 25-30 points in each skill?) I think removing pet bonding alltogether and allowing for a sort of pet perma-death really bites. Especially when 5 minutes of unstable connection can easily take away days of progress.

On the subject of tamer economy.. even though ive never personally had trouble selling a mare, I would guess that the lack of value is not really bondings fault.

I see fast skill gain as having more to do with it.

First off, everbody and his mom is a tamer because skill gain is so easy. This means there will be more competition on the market and prices will be driven down as a result.

Secondly, because skillgain is so fast...I can just tame 2 mares and spar them both to 7x in a few days, so why should i spend 20k or whatever when all it costs for me to do it myself is an hour or two a day and some bandaids? Thus, demand is down.

Too much supply and no demand = low prices

While bonding does contribute to the lack of demand, just removing it won't fix anything since there are obviously other factors involved.

Phantom16

Wanderer
i see people saying "insta remount with ethys!!!" but come on.... if your riding an ethy and get hit with a bola, its your own damn fault.... horses cost 602gp in non-faction towns..... dont be lazy, if you want to be able to run, get a horse.....

Yiff

Wanderer
Phantom16 said:
i see people saying "insta remount with ethys!!!" but come on.... if your riding an ethy and get hit with a bola, its your own damn fault.... horses cost 602gp in non-faction towns..... dont be lazy, if you want to be able to run, get a horse.....

why is it my fault i get bola'd, because i just happen to be on the same screen as another orange? and you cant instantly remount after getting bola'd on a regular horse, you have to wait like six seconds to get back on, which leaves the orange plenty of time to ebolt your horse, thus leaving you totally fucked.

Khublai

Wanderer
Well i see taking bonding out of the game is kinda unfair to tamers and to the people whos account is not old enough to have the etheral mounts. my self i have most of my pvp chars with bonded mounts because my account is not old enough to have etherals. I also dont agree with tamers in pvp, i have never used my pets in pvp, or will i ever unless i am tryin to fight a gank group of reds tryin to kill me while i farm gold. But in my opinion takin bonding outta the game will ruin the gameplay for me in pve, my pets die enough hunting as is, and i could never keep a pet without it. My opinion to a solution is to make bonding a pet harder, say make it a longer time period to bond a pet or take bonding away from factions chars. well i am done venting on this subject...Flame away

new-guy-

Wanderer
Mark could you please add some were that this means for PVP because half the votes that are for its fine how it is Are more than likly some bank sitting trammy who has no idea whats going on in pvp with mares ><

yeah but this will hurt pvm too, which there are much more pvm tamers then pvp. If you attack a tamer you should be prepared to deal with the pets. Most the people bitching abou this are pks who dont like the idea of having to work for a kill because a class has a decent defense. I like how tamers are the most concern and inbalanced....You guys never consider the overpower ober mages do you. And dont tell me that those area affect spell changes fixed it, because mages are still overpowered. That did help making it so they have to actually choose a target to go after, but they are still by far the most overpowered class on shard.

Atrox-hybrid

Wanderer
plague_spores said:
yeah but this will hurt pvm too, which there are much more pvm tamers then pvp. If you attack a tamer you should be prepared to deal with the pets. Most the people bitching abou this are pks who dont like the idea of having to work for a kill because a class has a decent defense. I like how tamers are the most concern and inbalanced....You guys never consider the overpower ober mages do you. And dont tell me that those area affect spell changes fixed it, because mages are still overpowered. That did help making it so they have to actually choose a target to go after, but they are still by far the most overpowered class on shard.

tamers only have great defense because they have the most incredible offense in the game which makes it hard to stay on the same screen as them for long. no one person should have that much of an advantage over everyone else...

there is more concern over tamers than mages because tamers are more of a problem. this is an obvious fact to anyone that's ever fought a competant tamer.

if you want to claim that there is something wrong with mages at least support your answer. but to be honest, i don't think theres much of a problem. with the new melee changes hybrids and dexers can give me a run for my money. id consider some dexers to be more dangerous than most mages even.

Don Montana

Wanderer
I think the best solution is what that guy( don't remember his name either) suggested. Make it where, if your an aggresor, your pet loses it's bonded status for, say, 5 minutes. This way if you attack some fool, and he owns your's and your pet's ass, you can't bitch an whine about your (now unbonded) pet dying, since you attacked him. Obviously if someone attacks you or your pet, the bonding status remains. And I think we should remember that PvP will never be completely balanced, a GOOD tamer will ALWAYS own a dexxer 1v1, provided he knows what he's doing. Another possible solution would be to limit the actual taming process somehow. I don't mean decrease skill gain, since most people here are simply not going to spend 5 hours a day for a month GM'ing taming. But maybe tamers should only be able to have ONE dangerous pet follow them at a time. This would include Drags, Mares, WW's, Drakes, and those fucking ice snakes or whatever, the blue things. Now I know this sounds like a shitty idea, but think for a sec: If a tamer has a Drag, he's slower than hell and no REAL threat, the really good tamer pk's use 2 mares and possible one of those blue whores I mentioned. But if a Tamer only had one mare with him, he couldn't really rely on it to do ALL the work for him, he'd have to cast spells and actually fight as well. Now I understand that this would be a hardship for a player with 0 eval and 0 resist, but that would discourage Tamers from PvP'ing in the first place. And yes, I know all the people who think they're cool cause they ride mares, and have brand new WW's will bitch about it, but really, if you have a bodyguard with 825 hitpoints, then you can just ride a horse. What do you guys think of this?

Atrox-hybrid

Wanderer
i would be all in favor of limiting the number of pets you can run with if they hadnt already nerfed taming just now.

overnerfing = bad so i wouldnt like to see any more negative changes

Tor

Wanderer
It blows me away that this thread is winning to "its fine how it is"
The amount of pet luring and people complaining PER DAY would top this.

Personally, bonding was added when followers was added. So if bonding is removed..should followers be removed? Let people have like 4 mares, just their control rate and obedience be extremely low? Things to think about, perhaps.

I personally am for no bonding. Pets are fairly easy to get at the moment, and people just whore them in their stables. No bonding would force the amateur ("I just tamed mare, die you red") tamer out. It would make the strong tamers more hesitant, and not so lenient in letting their pets out of their sight to go fight some red..then page us about getting them back. I think removing bonding will make alot of people upset, but alot of people happy at the same time. I think it will take tamer pvp to a whole new level, and make it quite a skill and take alot of hard work to make it work.

Remove it ;)

Tiens-hybrid

Wanderer
I liked back in the days when you could tame 10 drags, bring them to the bank and sell them. Or take them down to hunt some balrons, bonding was something I liked aswell since you would never permanetly loose a pet... (unless you did something uber-stupid) but then again I hated bonding since I was in factions aswell. Killing a dragon nowadays would just result in the dragon being back to fight you in 10 minutes of ressing and getting the tamer out of the stat. Aswell as allowing tamers to recall in battle instead of making an annoying gate for the drag aswell. I love the way that you could bring 2 dragons around and kick ass and I would love to see that back... other than that I think the whining and the "all kill = no skill" attitude is because on OSI there were to many ways of lame taming... but here this is already reduced to nothing because tamers cant do shit without resist. I'd keep it as it is.. or remove bonding and the followers limit.

Obe[IC]

Wanderer
I have to admit - what Tor said was right on the head. Which was one large reason why Pet Bonding was kept in the game. You'd have to counterbalance it with the fact tamers would then bitch about not having the Pre-UO:R style set of having a million dragons. Which would then counterset the skill sheets for pets. If you really wana go that far back. Tamers originally only tamed pets. ANY player could whore dragons if they spent a peasely 5k on one. And honestly - I'd hate to see how pvp turned out when every player on the shard had a 7x PowerHouse and 20+ pets to "back them up".You'd see the whole shard go to shit.

I'm in total love with this patch. My Peacer does nothing more than peace other peoples pets and kill them now ;p
Tryin to seperate the wheat from the chaff - See who's truely dedicated as a Tamer and who just wants to be a "get rich quick" schemer.

Megumi

Wanderer
If you remove bonding, remove the followers cap.

That's fair i think - 2 bonded mares or 15 tamed dragons.

-Lud

Status
Not open for further replies.